Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2005, 22:02
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Sorry Guys I was not online for a while.
My 999 is a std 999 2005..not S or R.
This morning I called Daytona and they told me is the first time they are advised of this kind of problem, especially on new bikes. They didn't give me any indication on the phone as the best thing to do was to bring the bike in. On the phone they indicated that can just be dirt in the calipers (???) . I have provisionaly scheduled the service in a week time, but I am keen to take everything down and check by myself.
I just cleaned the bike tonight and I may pop tomorrow to a Duc dealer (the closer I have is in Reading.. I think Pegasus..dou you guys know if is OK??) ..or I am taking the caliper down and the pads.. As with this weather is a shame to have the bike in the garage (still I agree twinfan that is not the case to use it if I don't get a solution to this issue..) . I am still thinking is not that serious..but it is really odd. Again, I am sure at this point that the noise and the difficulty in turning the front wheel on the stand is coming from the brake pads that are touching the discs, not the bearings...
Old 28-May-2005, 11:43
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I agree with your diagnosis Brogins, I think the pads/callipers are at fault. Let us know how you get on!
Old 28-May-2005, 21:56
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Took everything down today - wheel, shims, calipers, pads....
Cleaned everything well, and the calipers yes were full of crap.
Reassembled everything right using the right procedure and the right torque values.
Well, the bearings are definetly fine.
The Pads are still with life left.
The brakes are working properly, but still after everything was cleaned, greased and properly reassembled, the pads are sticking a little bit on the discs. Now is better that the other day and I guess a little bit the pads/discs are touching anyway ... Of course with no calipers the wheel is turning like a bycycle wheel, perfect, but with calipers and pads on is a different story.... Just for curiousity, with the bike on the front stand, with one hand spin no big effort, how many revolution can the wheel do?

[Edited on 28-5-2005 by Brogins]
Old 30-May-2005, 21:31
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
It should do at least 5 I think, if not more?
Old 30-May-2005, 21:56
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I dont think so, I think the light drag from the pads will stop it before one!
Old 30-May-2005, 23:14
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
It should do at least 5 I think, if not more?

on my 999 I can count to about 5 seconds before it stops.
Old 30-May-2005, 23:20
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Mine has developed a shudder recently, we got the front wheel up today and think we have found the problem, left fork 2 rings showing, right leg 3 rings showing, eeeek, how can that happen ??

Beeb thinkiking about this, it'll affect the springs inside fork, they'll be unequal tensions, the sliders will self adjust to keep axle in line. If you ever bottomed them one side would take all of load before the other. Even so it need sorting and might as well clean calipers and discs while we are on and try and find whats hppening with the shudder, my best guess would be warped discs. it'll be worth dropping brake fluid out as well its meant to be done every 2 years even if not used.
Old 30-May-2005, 23:24
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Mine has developed a shudder recently, we got the front wheel up today and think we have found the problem, left fork 2 rings showing, right leg 3 rings showing, eeeek, how can that happen ??

You mean two lines for left fork and 3 lines for right fork above the triple clamp?
Old 31-May-2005, 09:21
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducnow
Quote:

You mean two lines for left fork and 3 lines for right fork above the triple clamp?

yes, exactly that, DCR has never altered it so its been like that since build and pdi.
Old 31-May-2005, 11:00
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Quote:
Originally posted by Ducnow
Quote:

yes, exactly that, DCR has never altered it so its been like that since build and pdi.

Oh my..... the bike and especially the front end should feel like crap, huh?
Dseered, when did you found out about that? HFor how long have you rode the bike like that? Is is solved now?

****, i still can't beleive this

[Edited on 31-5-2005 by Ducnow]