Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2005, 10:45
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Assymetric Termis on a 749 or 749S? Worth it?

Is anyone running the Termi assymetric system on their 749 or 749S? My mates Dad has a 749S and is thinking of getting the "cheap" Termi system for his bike. He's mainly looking to release the traditional Desmo rumble and isn't so bothered about a huge power increase.

Is it worth getting the assymetric system, and therefore keeping his warranty intact? Or is it too much cash for too little gain?

Opinions please

TF
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:35
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Had them put on my 749S at first service.

looks better, runs better, sounds an awful lot better.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:41
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
what's it got to do with warranty ?

but yes , the bike will sound better , probably run better too and be about 5kg lighter , all of which is good
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:47
Big Twin

Warranty is intact compared to fitting a Akrapovic or Leo Vinci etc if you fit Termis. His bike is pretty new, so warranty is important.

Quote:
the bike will sound better , probably run better too and be about 5kg lighter , all of which is good

Worth a grand though?
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:54
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Why would it affect warranty though? JHP/Ducati Coventry sell Leo Vinci systems, so I'm guessing if they sell you one/fit one it would be covered being an authorised Ducati Dealer?
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:58
Big Twin

Depends how picky the dealer/Ducati are if a problem arises I guess. In theory, if you had engine problems they could say the exhaust was to blame (making run lean or something). I guess he's just being cautious.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 12:02
BSB Star

Not if an authorised Ducati Dealer fitted it and set the fueling up to suit though
Old 22-Jun-2005, 12:03
Big Twin

Fair point I guess!

So what's the verdict on the assymetric kit or any other slip-on/half system? Worth the bother?
Old 22-Jun-2005, 12:12
BSB Star

If he wants noise go for the leo vinci, if he can stretch that far, far better build quality too, in fact I can't really think of any reason to go Termi's other than the inherent association with Ducati
Old 22-Jun-2005, 13:48
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I think it comes down to how much cash you've got (or are prepared to spend?) to throw at your bike/ biking & what floats your boat.

If you can afford all the bolt-on bits you want for your bike + still do all the other bike stuff like trackdays, trips abroad, etc that you want, then a can (LV or Termi) is worth buying.

If it's one or the other, then you can have a lot of fun with the £900-£1200 the can is going to cost. IMHO, it's a lot to spend if you just want some extra noise. However, if you get your biking enjoyment from bolt-ons/ general ownership, want the extra noise & aren't interested in trackdays, etc then a can is money well spent as it will sound much better than the stock can.

I've got the Termi, but I've had LV can's before. Their build quality is fantastic & far better than the Termi (but you're paying extra for it).

Personally, if I had to choose how to spend £900-£1200, I'd keep the standard can & go to the Nurburgring for a long weekend + do 4-6 trackdays.