Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2005, 13:28

Crash bungs

Any recommendations for crash bungs for 996s
do they fit without any fairing mods.
had r&g on my k3-1000 did a good job when i dropped that so want some for the duke
cheers
steve
Old 08-Sep-2005, 13:50
GTL

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/index.php3?M=70

Consensus seems to be that crash bungs and Ducati tubular steel frames are a dubious pairing at best.

After lowsiding on the "cheap" side (no swinging arm) and miraculously not damaging forks etc, I'm going to fit front and rear axle-end bungs, but leave it at that.
Old 08-Sep-2005, 13:53
GTL

Sorry...link should be:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm....php?tid=22100
Old 08-Sep-2005, 21:06
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
where can i get the front fork protectors and is there anything to protect the 748 swingarm

cheers
Old 09-Sep-2005, 00:31

Crash bungs are designed for the track where there are no manhole covers etc and a bike can slide unhindered if you're unfortunate enough to go over.

In road riding they will protect a bike if it has a low speed topple (eg like a badly executed u-turn) but if it's faster and the bungs catch on any road or surface furniture it could be bye bye frame and hello write-off.
Old 09-Sep-2005, 00:35
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
very mixed opinions on crash bungs for ducati trelis frames, some people say that they can cause frame damage.

you would need to drill the fairings for most types.

i just use the fork and swinging arm protectors
Old 09-Sep-2005, 08:51
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by deej
where can i get the front fork protectors and is there anything to protect the 748 swingarm

cheers

I've gone for the cheap option:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/916-996-998-74...QQcmdZViewItem

Or a more upmarket solution:

http://www.rg-racing.com

Doubt they'll be much use in protecting the rear swinging arm, because of its bulk, but might help save the fork stanchions
Old 09-Sep-2005, 10:30
Big Twin

I put R&G crash bungs on my 749S for use on trackdays. Had to drill the fairing, but it's a track fairing anyway.

They mount on the engine mounting point, with a sturdy machined alluminium mount that locates in the frame tube and up against the engine. Their longer stainless threaded stud replaces the original engine mounting. It also clamps to the frame immediately behind that engine moutning. They are supposed to spread the load through 8 routes.

Results - I had a lowside at SNetterton with these on, and whilst half the RHS crash bung wore away, it saved the bike. THe only other damage was the ball end on the brake lever, minor scuff to the bar end, wore away most of the adjustable tab on the rear brake lever and scuffed the underside of the flip up footpeg. Didn;t touch the forks or swingarm. It saved the clutch, which was my main reason for fitting them!
Old 09-Sep-2005, 10:45
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Bought a pair of R&G front wheel bungs. The fit is excellent and the materials look good too. Have not been tested yet which is a good thing. Delivery prompt too.
Old 31-Dec-2011, 18:01
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST4 & Firestorm - Sadly no more DDue Racer

Just been looking through the various forum entries about pro's and con's of crash bungs. I've always fitted these (R&G) to my beam framed bikes, but there does appear to be concerns about damage to the trellis frames if the bung catches on something. Is the answer to fit the 'cheap' bungs which just use the fairing mount to attach? Theory being that they will offer some protection against low speed drops and would shear the bolt rather than bend the frame in a bigger crash??