Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Feb-2006, 22:32
Mille

Help with cluncking noise

Ive spent the last couple of nights in the garage cleaning the chain, sprockets, sprocket cover, chain guides and anything else that was caked in syrup and grit chain has always been well greased, trouble is it obviously never occured to the previous owner to clean off the old from time to time.
Well you know how it is, once you start a job like that you just keep going, took the fairings off last night and have just compiled a list of various types of furry fastenings ranging from jubilee clips to bolts that need replacing, clearly the bike has been used a fair bit in the rain and just left to dry probably the first time the fairings have been off for some simple TLC (apart from servicing)
Anyway, the reason for my post is, when i moved the bike from one end of the garage to the other and pulled on the brake there was a smll amount of dive on the forks and a "clunk" at first i thought it was the disks but it makes the same noise when just pushing down on the bars and lifting them, it sounds (as best as i can tell on my own) like it is coming from the fork internals I cant feel it through the bars and took it for a short ride on Saturday and heard/felt nothing.
Oh, and the head stock doe's feels tight.
Anyone got any ideas.

Cheers

Simon
Old 22-Feb-2006, 22:49
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Is it not the small amount of play in your brake pad to calliper body clearance. The clunk is the pads just striking against the end stop?
Old 22-Feb-2006, 22:53
Mille

Mood: childish
play in headstock bearings maybe? invest in a haynes & check them out

rus
Old 22-Feb-2006, 22:54
Big Twin

Don't worry about clonk mate as it is from the top of your forks, My old 916 did the same and this has been spoken about on hear before.

If I remember rightly the outcome of the discussion was not to worry about it.

Old 22-Feb-2006, 23:02
Big Twin

Might sound daft but it could be your brake pipe from your master cylinder thats springing back against your forks? Sounds silly I know but I had the same kind of noise when moving the bike around the garage, if I applied full lock and then straightened the bars there was a clunk as the pipe slightly fouled the forks then sprung back. Its unlikely to be that but worth checking anyway.
Old 22-Feb-2006, 23:26
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Had the same clunk on my 748, had it checked out at Italia in Lincoln. Turned out to be a a little play in the head bearings plus the adjustable head tube etc. Nothing needed changing and the play was more down to the tollerances in the parts rather than wear.

Bike was fine to ride and did not suffer at all. You could only hear the clunk when front brakes applied at walking pace.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 00:26
Mille

same thing happens on my 748 and was told by the guys on here not too worry so didnt and that was 2 years ago,and still no probs
Just start the engine next time and you wont even hear it
Old 23-Feb-2006, 06:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
What is it about you Narfaarkers and cleaning??!!
Seriously tho,as mentioned before,'clunk' is knowt to worry about.Its a case of "They all do that sir!"
Old 23-Feb-2006, 07:49
Mille

Thanx to all guy's def feeling much happier now than i was lastnight, its going in for belts in a couple of weeks so ill let them take a quick look anyway. I guess thats why they made the clutch so noisey then
Old 23-Feb-2006, 12:13
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
I agree with Gasmanrus and Carbon 749, I too think its the head bearings.

Richard.

[Edited on 23-2-2006 by Italian Stallion]