Old 11-Oct-2005, 00:07
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Quote:
Originally posted by Shazaam!
Your 4-position clutch lever adjuster

Whoa - is that the might Shazaam getting something wrong? The 999 and 749 bikes have a screw adjuster lever, not a four position Brembo. Unless the 'R's are different?
Yep,the poor 'ol boy is getting confused with those antique 916's and the like!
Old 11-Oct-2005, 00:30
500SD

Mood: happy
spot on KB 7mm or 6mm bolt,

when I was up at Italia on saturday it was the last thing done before the bike was wheeled out , took about 1min tops.Clutch as light as a feather now.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 00:58
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Whoops! I guess it's time to retire the 916 and get a modern bike.

Also, the comment about water in the clutch slave cylinder is a good one. The engine temperature at the slave cylinder location can easily reach 212 degrees F (the boiling point of water), and nearby small pockets of water, as they boil, introduce water vapor in the line that causes behavior just like air in the line does.

The amount of water that hydraulic fluid can hold in solution is dependant on the temperature of the fluid. So, The Ducati clutch hydraulic circuit is like a little water generator. When the fluid heats-up from engine heat, it can hold more than five times more water than it could hold at room temperature. Moisture usually enters through leaks in the reservoir cover and gets absorbed into the fluid.

Then the fluid cools down when you shutdown so the additional fluid that could be held at the higher temperature, condenses out into water droplets that sink to the low point of the system - to the slave cylinder. This happens over-and-over until enough water has accumulated at the hottest point in the system. At 212 degrees F it boils and your clutch actuation goes south.

So, flush your system to get rid of the water completely.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 02:36
Big Twin

Not only would moisture enter due to leaks in the reservoir cover, but due to our rather damp climate it has been known to be absorbed from the air when you are filling the system. Try to do the job on a dry day, or at least don't leave the bottle open? Avoid reusing the fluid that you have flushed through when bleeding the system as that will have been more exposed. Also, don't use fluid form a part used bottle that has been hanging about for along time.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 14:27
888 at Last !!!

Never had that problem on my 999R
Old 11-Oct-2005, 22:12
Bikes: Prev. owned 900SS, 996Bip,996S,998R,Paul Smart LE,999R, XDiavel S

My 'R shift is not great but I only have a few laps! on it at the moment, my problem is down shifting, I keep finding False neutrals, which is a bit scary going into the Veranda in neutral, I guess it only wants mileage to cure it but it is horrible having to pick between crashing down the box, and cornering in neutral.....
Old 11-Oct-2005, 22:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Just done 4 days at jerez, clutch no worries, in fact the bike was superb!

Big up for the 999!
Old 12-Oct-2005, 00:31

"My 'R shift is not great but I only have a few laps! on it at the moment, my problem is down shifting, I keep finding False neutrals, which is a bit scary going into the Veranda in neutral, I guess it only wants mileage to cure it but it is horrible having to pick between crashing down the box, and cornering in neutral....."
This was happening with my 749R, knew it was the slipper clutch and raised the matter at the 12 month service. Clutch was adjusted and end of the problem..By the way the gear change is very slick, but I'd prefer a shorter lever movement. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 12-Oct-2005, 07:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by moonraker
My 'R shift is not great but I only have a few laps! on it at the moment, my problem is down shifting, I keep finding False neutrals, which is a bit scary going into the Veranda in neutral, I guess it only wants mileage to cure it but it is horrible having to pick between crashing down the box, and cornering in neutral.....
Check you gearchange linkage.I had the same problem on my 999 bip.I found the link rod was'nt quite located correctly.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 17:35
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Hmm,its a pretty common fault on the 749/999's to have regular clutch bleeding sessions.Take a look at the fluid levels in the master cylinder while the bike is on the sidestand,...not much in there,...is there??Dunno if air gets in here,just that some need a bleed now and again,some dont.
Dead easy to do on these bikes,just remove the master cylinder cap.Have a look inside,...see that little bolt head?He's your boy,(cant remember the exact size,4mm?)undo the bolt a little and gently squeeze/pump the clutch lever.See those bubbles coming out,....continue squeezing untill they disapear.Tighten the bolt,replace the cap,...hey,you have just bled your clutch.Sit back in the warm glow of a job well done.
NB,its good to have plenty of rags lying around to catch any fluid that might want to spoil your paintwork.Its also best if the bike is upright,like on a paddock stand or summat.

On previous occations I tape the lever to the bar and leave over night to let time do the job