Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Feb-2005, 17:34

Termi can mods

why buy 45mm termi open cans . ive reworked my standard 996 cans by using the standard ends & aluminium sleeve dont get me wrong its not as simple as it sounds but now ive got road legal stamped race cans with new stainess steel internals for a fraction of the cost of second hand ones if anyones interested let me know ?
Old 25-Feb-2005, 17:39
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Tony, glad you're happy with your mods but you may be missing the point............

a) Ducati's are supposed to cost LOTS OF MONEY ! if you want biking on the cheap buy a UJM (then you can also brag about how reasonable the servicing is.......)

b) Termi's go with Ducati's like bacon goes with eggs, cheese goes with biscuits etc......
Standard cans look naff (sorry but they do)
Old 25-Feb-2005, 17:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
yep standard cans SUCK and they weigh a lot too.
er any way glad you are happy with the mod
Old 25-Feb-2005, 18:03

Termi can mods

some off us buy bikes to use some buy em to look at. form or function. sorry u think im cheapening the marque but im being realistic .but what ive saved on cans will pay for two or three trackdays more important to me than keeping up with mr & mrs Jones
Old 25-Feb-2005, 19:34
Big Twin

Until you get stopped, and charged with attempting to defraud etc.

Also, just because they have a road legal stamp doesn't make them legal. They still have to comply to those standards, not just be stamped.

Coring (which is what you've done) makes them illegal.
The MoT has now been changed so that the tester can fail your bike if he believes they are excessively loud. This was done because it's too easy to get a plate or band made with the BSAU / E mark on it.

So, you've just bu&&ered some standard cans.

Best look on ebay for a new set, for when you get pulled / MoT fails etc....
Old 25-Feb-2005, 19:42
500SD

Never butcher standard cans. You may need them at least once a year. The price of standard cans on ebay gets as expensive as race/non standard lately. Hope you can put them back if you need to
Old 25-Feb-2005, 20:15
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
You lot sound like a right load of Righteous nerds. Get a life, its not the first time someone has done this and it won't be the last. He can always borrow a set of cans for the MOT.
Old 25-Feb-2005, 20:17
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Good for you tony,Its always good when you can do it yourself and save a fortune in the process. !!!

/ian
Old 25-Feb-2005, 20:47

to right

so far very interesting reading has anyone here any expertise in exsuast design/manufacture.I have for the likes of (aston martin/virage) (t.v.r/various models produced) (jaguar/xj 220) plus numerous race teams & projects .as for the term BU*****D like i said at the begining its not as simple as it sounds. All the work was carried out in a fully equiped fabrication shop not by some spotty teen with an angle grinder & a couple of drill bits . u see some people like to use their hands for things other than pulling pound notes out of our pockets .as for the legality were all road legal on this site are we .look above ,whats that......OINK...OINK must be gettin ready for take off
Old 25-Feb-2005, 20:48
Ducati Corse

My ST4 came with cored standard cans when i bought it. Its passed three MOT's like that as well (the last one was after the new rules came into play). Its seriously loud, never had the slightest problem with the police or anyone else come to that. The cans weigh next to nothing becasue all the insides have been taken out. Got a standard set off ebay (for £46 last week) just in case!
Much more cost effective mod than paying hundreds for fancy carbon cans that give you a 2hp increase that you cant use anyhow and will certainly fail the test due to the not for road use stamps.

Like Jon said, some people on here need to get a life.