Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-May-2006, 12:44
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Yeah...prettier but of no use if the money doesn't deliver extra performance

The brakes on my 800ss are absolutely stupendous - using std calipers with iron floaters, CRG levers (now these are TRICK) separate twin lines.
Old 10-May-2006, 12:47
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
just checked on parts lists. the 2 pad m/cyl is 624.4.012.1A

and the 4 pad master cylinder is 624.4.016.1A......................
Old 10-May-2006, 12:48
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
..and the acid test is... do you stop quicker...well for the track it is.

Road use is debatable - we can disappear up our own arses at times with bling.
Old 10-May-2006, 12:49
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
not goingto get too involved as i know jack all about brakes etc but i do know you make up time on the throttle not on the brakes. FACT
Old 10-May-2006, 12:51
BSB Star

i put some p4-34 callipers on to my vfr400............i used a monster m/cylinder............now i know they work better than the original 2 pad nissin things.................

but not as good as my radial 4 pads on the 999r, and no where near as good as it with the now 19x18 radial brembo master cylinder.
Old 10-May-2006, 12:52
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
not goingto get too involved as i know jack all about brakes etc but i do know you make up time on the throttle not on the brakes. FACT

and sometimes too much on throttle..................cos your brakes wernt good enough at the end of the straight..........where was the battle won at Monza?
Old 10-May-2006, 12:59
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati

and sometimes too much on throttle..................cos your brakes wernt good enough at the end of the straight..........where was the battle won at Monza?

dunno i was racing at assen

yeah good point but anyone looking to go faster really needent worry about their brakes initially.
Old 10-May-2006, 13:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I had standard 4 pot goldlines on my ST with a set of bendix pads and they were excellent brakes, loads of feel and lots of stopping power.

Then I got seduced by the bling fairy and fell for a set of P34 stoppers that were on eBay dead cheap. I cleaned them up, put them straight on (the pads had plenty of meat on them) bled them through and went for a ride.

The brakes felt awful. Wooden, no feel and far less effective than my original brakes and they stayed that way for the first 100-150 miles.

Then the pads (standard brembo ones) bedded in and the brakes suddenly became awesome. I finally understood why everyone raved about them because they are unbelievably powerful but with huge amounts of feel as well, almost as if you can feel every last drop of braking power and you can tell exactly when the wheel is about to lock. You can do all this with two finger braking (my preference) and a nice firm lever using the standard master cylinder, so I would say ride it a bit more and I'd be surprised if pretty soon you don't find yourself saying "jeez, these brakes are awesome".

BTW: I disagree with Dickie, I find that if I've got total confidence on the brakes I can use a much, much deeper braking marker and keep the throttle pinned for longer
Old 10-May-2006, 13:10
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
i've got a nice little ride home from here this afternoon, taking in a bit of a scenic route too... i'll keep you chaps posted.
Old 10-May-2006, 13:18
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools

BTW: I disagree with Dickie, I find that if I've got total confidence on the brakes I can use a much, much deeper braking marker and keep the throttle pinned for longer

you will make up time by braking later but in comparison to getting on the throttle early and carrying it through a fast section it is tiny by comparison. we are talking tenths of seconds compared to seconds.