Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Aug-2005, 20:20
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
A cautionary tale....

'Twas sunday morning when my tale began....Headed out to the MOGTUNING Ltd workshop to see if the duke was ready for a bimble up to Popham on sunday.Fired up first time,due to presence of optimate charger..ideal.

Now my first option was to go for a quick blat on the coast road,but before doing so,thought i ought to check the oil cooler hoses,as they both have a small leak,removed fairing to find a scale reproduction of what washed up on shore when the Torrey Canyon broke up....obviously leaking a bit more then.

So,quick blat has now gone out the window,a day of fettling beckons....radio on and bark the kettle up..
Got some new hoses off of flea bay a few weeks back,ideal time to change them..warmed bike up,drained oil into washing up bowl..off with filter,only problem is,no wrench,lent it to some twunt who hasn't bought it back..

Against better judgement i opt for the bodgedriver and 24oz knockometer method..get it right through and out the other side...heave...riiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppp********!... have another bite,same again..now have filter that looks like an opened tin of heinz's finest..then the awful truth dawns on me,how the chuffin hell am i gonna get this out now?

Out with the M.A.N.F..Multi Adjustable Nut Fecker..no joy..pliers,grips,everything..not good..the usual moggers air of chill has gone..

By now,its half four,time to pick Daisy (heiress to the moggers quids) up from grannys..half hour later and with small apprentice in tow,we return to the workshop...out with hammer and chisel and little by little,the filter is moving then ooooooooooofffffffff!!!,get in there..absolute elation is replaced in seconds as i turn to see Daisy with used engine oil running down her arms as she helpfully scrubs the front super corsa with what remains of the filter element.....

NEVER EVER USE THE SCREWDRIVER METHOD,PEOPLE.
Old 17-Aug-2005, 20:25
Big Twin

Old 17-Aug-2005, 20:45
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
damn classic

Chris
Old 17-Aug-2005, 21:55
500SD

Great advert for contraception

[Edited on 17-8-2005 by m1keyp]
Old 17-Aug-2005, 22:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Hmm, been there too. My happy day was completed (once I'd got the destroyed filter off - 4 hours plus) by the bike falling off the worktable. Tank stuffed, other misc damage.. Huge bill, ouch.

Your among friends here.

[Edited on 17-8-2005 by rob41b]
Old 17-Aug-2005, 22:06
Montjuic

For those of you not located in Devon, we consider this kind of mechanical practice as more delicate than is normally required.

Often only the hammer is used and it is rare that any panels are removed.

Old 17-Aug-2005, 22:09
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
That wasnt the end of it...overtightened oil hoses and had to get two more as they were ****ing oil out....
Old 17-Aug-2005, 22:34
Montjuic

Again. Normal lol
Old 18-Aug-2005, 07:11
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally posted by mogwai
That wasnt the end of it...overtightened oil hoses and had to get two more as they were ****ing oil out....

Sometimes it can be cheaper just to stick it in a dealers & say "Sort it"

Chris.
Old 19-Aug-2005, 00:09
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
After hours, if fact almost a full day, I decided to lay the bike on some tyres and pick the tin out bit by bit. I then made a tool (see attachment) that fits perfectly in the inlet holes. 2 mins later out came the filter - or what was left of it.

Unfortunatly if you don't tighten them they start leaking. I've now fitted a jubilee clip to the filter and attached with wire to the rear engine mount. We'll see if it comes off any easier next time.