Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2003, 17:48
Big Twin

rear spring change DIY ?

How easy/ difficult is it to change the spring on a rear Ohlins shock, are there any special tools required, Is this some thing I could do my self ??
Old 15-Nov-2003, 18:20

It's not very difficult assuming that you have the bike properly lifted and secured. It helps to have some spring compressors to take the load off of the threaded collars. If you don't have any you can rent them for a couple of bucks from most auto parts stores.
Old 15-Nov-2003, 18:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I've done a couple on the bench and they have quite a bit of spring pre load so watch your fingers when you are taking the top retainer out.

It's not a troublesome job as long as you have something to squeeze the spring. The best thing is a press with a hoop fitting. The top eye passes through the hoop and pushes down on the top srring collar. Pull out the top cap when its loose and let the press up.

Job done, oh yes, make sure you still have all your finger tips connected.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 16-Nov-2003, 18:56
Big Twin

thanks il give it a go, I think i can borrow some spring compressors, just hope il still be able to type afterwards
Old 17-Nov-2003, 22:10
500SD

Sorry guys, I am missing something here? Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I assume you have the shock off the bike in which case just loosen the lock rings and wind them up to the top of the shock body. That will remove all tension from the spring. Lift up and remove the lower spring saddle and then slide the spring off the bottom of the shock. 10 minute job tops.

If your removing the spring to change it for one with a different rating then you'll need to reset sag etc anyway so moving the lock rings is inconsequential. If your removing the spring for cleaning purposes, just measure where the lock rings are at present and then reset when you're putting the shock back together.

Hope that's of some use to you.

Neil.

P.S. The only tool you will need is a "C" spanner for the lock rings. If you haven't got one give Harris a call (01992 532501), £2.54 + VAT for a proper Ohlins one.
Old 18-Nov-2003, 18:45
Big Twin

Thanks Neil, Yes i have the shock off of the bike, I wanted to remove the hyperpro spring that was fitted to it, before parting with the shock and put the standard spring back on it, its a spare shock I had for my trackday bike, so I wont be re-fitting it or needing to set up sag, that pleasure will be for who ever become the new owner of it. Have not had time to do it yet but it sound straight forward enough.

thanks

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by Bungi]
Old 18-Nov-2003, 19:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Sorry Bungi,

I was doing my nice but dim and didn't ask if you have a remote pre load adjuster (I have and it means the process was as I described) or lock rings, piece of pxxs.

I'll get my coat.
Old 19-Nov-2003, 11:34
500SD

Bungi,

Have sent U2U.

Cheers, Neil.