Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 03-May-2005, 01:08

Mood: Nervous
DEALER ENTRIES

I rode a dealer entry, I finished 23rd and 21st respectivley. Our bike was a crash damaged demonstrator that I rebuilt in just three weeks, working in the evening and on my days off to complete.

The only modifications I could afford to make to the bike were a small airbox mod and a set of Remus DP pipes.

I managed to find a set of race fairings in the USA.

The bike suffered massive clutch slip on the straights and bottomed out in the old hairpin.

I ran stock road bike suspension and standard road bike gearing.

I would like to do everything within the rules of this series to make the bike more competitive.... however funds are limited.

The main point of this whole series is supposed to be about how good you felt whilst you were racing.

I had a smile on my face the whole weekend, I'm not fast and my bike is not fast. I still had fun.

I cant believe some of the things you have said in this thread. Jealousy is such a negative thing. It will tarnish your karma, it will make you fall off.... Geoff took the time in testing on Friday to show me around the circuit, he showed me were I could go faster and where I could brake later.

I didnt ask him, he just offered. That man is egoless.

Grow Up.
Old 03-May-2005, 01:13

Doh..... I think he wuz running standard Diablos my friend...
Old 03-May-2005, 01:17

So do you think it will get to the point that we have a technical scruiteneer on site, checking everyones machines? Dipping the tanks to check whom is running 110 RON race fuel, or whom is porting and polishing thier heads, or whom is running hi-lift camshafts etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc?

Why cant we all just be shiny happy peolple?
Old 03-May-2005, 01:18

Laters all....
Old 03-May-2005, 01:37
500SD

Obviously I can't speak for everyone else who has written on this thread but for my own part I can tell you, categorically, that jealousy has nothing to do with it. Nor do I have any issue with any individual rider. I am merely expressing my view that the organisers should do the right thing for the series.

In section 1 of the rules it says: "Most modifications are only allowed for safety reasons or to allow older generations of the Desmo Due family of motorcycles to remain competitive with the latest machines." That is what everyone I've ever spoken to was under the impression was the rule. The fact that 1.1 doesn't go on to expressly disallow 620 engines changing their capacity coupled with the fact that in the very first race one competitor has done exactly that is a mistake. It is a loop hole/error/whatever you'd like to call it but it should be fixed.
Old 03-May-2005, 01:50
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by stinkyracing
I rode a dealer entry, I finished 23rd and 21st respectivley. Our bike was a crash damaged demonstrator that I rebuilt in just three weeks, working in the evening and on my days off to complete.

The only modifications I could afford to make to the bike were a small airbox mod and a set of Remus DP pipes.

I managed to find a set of race fairings in the USA.

The bike suffered massive clutch slip on the straights and bottomed out in the old hairpin.

I ran stock road bike suspension and standard road bike gearing.

I would like to do everything within the rules of this series to make the bike more competitive.... however funds are limited.

So if I've read that right... you've inherited a bike (and good on you for that), race prepped it yourself, on your own budget in your own time. "Dealer entry"? errr no mate, a lot of hard work from a private individual.

Quote:
The main point of this whole series is supposed to be about how good you felt whilst you were racing.
You must've read different promo material than that which attracted my entry... I'd love to see a copy!

Quote:
I cant believe some of the things you have said in this thread. Jealousy is such a negative thing. It will tarnish your karma, it will make you fall off.... Geoff took the time in testing on Friday to show me around the circuit, he showed me were I could go faster and where I could brake later.

I didnt ask him, he just offered. That man is egoless.

Grow Up.
Haven't noticed anyone been jealous, just posts asking the commitee to try and keep the series on the right track and offering an opinion why it could go, or has gone different to what was expected. And an ammendment to the rules in February regarding rider entry qualification seems to demonstrate that the race commitee agreed it was attracting the wrong riders.

If anyone has an opinion then they're entitled to be heard, if everyone says nothing, like you seem to be asking us to do, then the commitee won't be aware of any concerns - so there's nothing wrong with the comments in this thread.

nite nite
Old 03-May-2005, 01:56
500SD

Quote:
So do you think it will get to the point that we have a technical scruiteneer on site, checking everyones machines? Dipping the tanks to check whom is running 110 RON race fuel, or whom is porting and polishing thier heads, or whom is running hi-lift camshafts etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc?

The rules are quite specific about all those things. If anyone was to contravine them then they would simply be cheating. If you are suggesting that anyone is cheating then put your money down and protest.

What we are talking about here is an area of the rule book that hasn't been made sufficiently clear leading to a contradiction between sections 1 and 1.1

Quote:
Why cant we all just be shiny happy peolple?

I think it's better to get these things sorted as soon as they become apparent rather than let it fester as point of contention for the rest of the year (and future years).
Old 03-May-2005, 09:37
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:

Most of us running the 620's have suffered clutch slip at some point. An extra plate to preload the springs was put in mine and mw's and they don't slip anymore. It might work for you too.

Good luck.

TP
Old 03-May-2005, 11:27

Ok cool, didnt mean to offend, one day I will win..... I hope...... LOL
Old 03-May-2005, 15:04
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
sounds like everybody had a great time(except those that hurt themselves - recover quickly) i would have loved to have joined in-having raced in the RD/LC 350 series(showing my age). It is FUN, and hard work and expensive and if you can get your own personal reward great - i found that was how it started, but as you move up the field or do more races you will hunger for that top 10 finish and then a podium then number 1. This is natural, but don't loose that FUN/FEAR factor. Shame that it isn't just the old 600 engined bikes eligible - that would have been simple(and cheap)
Closed Thread