Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 23-Jun-2009, 01:21
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Gbyte666 Mallory Race Report, long with pics again if you want to skip the reading

Gbyte666 Mallory Race Report

I’m going to start this report on a positive note and I’m going to finish with a positive.(Poo sandwich)
I had a great weekend in and around the paddock meeting more new people again and it was brilliant to be able to watch the B series race. There was some great action.
It’s the only circuit I know where dinner comes to you. Phil only managed to Beat David on Sunday because he had eaten properly.

I arrived around 7pm surprised that there was hardly any one there except DD’rs so I was able to park in a great spot near the scruteneeringbay and mains. It was a beautiful evening and a magners in hand walking around chatting was nice. Even by late evening the paddock was relatively empty.

Sunday morning Nick and I ( in a non gay way ) rolled out of our separate beds late as usual whilst I cooked breakfast Nick took #34 to scruteneering. I was not looking forward to this track after doing a track day three days previous it was obvious to me that I could not get it right and I was worried about what Gerrards was doing to my rear and Devils to it on the left. Also my bike had been changed with high bars and no fairing which seemed to work I thought but now I was having second thoughts. I was still on a high after doing my favourite track Cadwell so it made me feel good but now I realised it was my best track not the bike set-up. At least we were qualifying with the B and not the supermoto axe murders.
Qualifying
I went to the front of the queue for qualifying as I knew if I got behind traffic at the hairpin and bus stop I’d never get past but I was so slow I was soon overtaken by so many that I had plenty of traffic in front of me by lap four. I was tailing Guy Lachian #21 and tried to take him down the start finish straight but ended up in a last man to flip it right into Gerrards battle. I was on the inside and got into it ok but too fast and trying to carry the same speed round the front and rear gave me a big warning not to do that. Instead of sitting up I managed to just decrease the angle a bit and let it drift out as it wanted a bit more. Phew.
Couple of laps later I noticed the yellow flag coming down the start straight and a huge dust mushroom cloud. I guess #24 Franco had had the same experience. Massive place to have an off and I was glad to see him up and about.
Chequered flag out and I was not feeling happy about my performance or the track. I managed a 1:07 on lap 3 which to be honest was about right for me but disappointing.
Loads of time before my first race so time to get out of the leathers grab the camera and go watch the Desmo B boys out to race. Great stuff, there was some real racing going on in that race all through the pack. Everyone was racing someone to the finish and it looked a whole lot of fun. The spectators to my left kept looking over to me as I randomly shouted out your names “ COMMON”
I avoided going anywhere near the hairpin as I really didn’t want to capture and fallers this time but as I looked left I saw the most spectacular high side from #22 ( sorry don’t know your name ) you must have went 10ft in the air still in the riding position. I hope your ok I saw you up and about but I guess you’re sore. Damm that would have made a good photo.

Race One
I was not looking forward to this one like I usually do, as I get to the check in the marshal tells me Grid Position 3 mate. “ eh, you sure. Yup don’t blame me mate they change em around. Shaking my head I make my way past Tim and Andy. Sat there at the front waiting to go out I’m pondering why I’m on the front row??? Was I that slow, maybe they are giving me a chance. “ Hold on I’m going to be front row with the supermoto axe murders. Feck that. I ride round and see the over fed marshal again. “ Are you sure M8”. Those stupid cow bars I have on #34 only made him think I was a supermoto, Plonker. Phew back on grid slot 32.
I got a banging start as usual and pulled through four straight away and had the right line for the right into Gerrards but as usual bottled it and lost all four back again and that was my race 1 basically. Watching peeps disappear into the distance and by lap 8 getting my paint scratched by the supermoto’s. Only good point for me in that race was Andy didn’t lap me. Still points were had and I finished another race. Back to the van and waiting for a roasting from my mentor Nick if he still wanted to mentor me.
Race Two

After such a rubbish performance in race one on my modified half DD half Supermoto bike I guess this was going to be much the same. Hmmm yes I know positive mental attitude.
Much the same really, banging start only to throw it away the first corner and a nice little pootle around on my own until the Supermoto’s come by, my heart was not really in it by lap three. As I came into the hairpin on about lap four I don’t know who was more scared, myself or the head that was sticking out from underneath the bike with those rabbit eyes in front of a car look of don’t run over me. Poor Skids had hid the wall and gone down right in the middle.
Then right on the last lap damm it, Andy go’s flying past.
Two races and I didn’t really race anyone.
But as I said I would finish on a positive note, I still enjoyed the weekend overall with the paddock banter, watching some great racing and meeting another new face. I’ll be back at Oulton Park with my bike looking more like a DD bike than a steer and I’m looking forward to it.

Well done Sam and Andy. ( don’t park so far away next time I couldn’t be arsed to walk all that way to congratulate you. Lol )
Man of the match, Sam West. ( what are you, man or machine ? I bet if you jumped on the back of one of those Mallory Ducks you would have won. )

Best Fathers day I have ever spent with my Boys supporting me.

Craig

Last edited by Gbyte666 : 23-Jun-2009 at 01:26.
Old 23-Jun-2009, 08:16
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Great write up Craig and as always a pleasure to talk with you. Your photos are brilliant as they need no explanation.
Old 23-Jun-2009, 08:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666

The spectators to my left kept looking over to me as I randomly shouted out your names “ COMMON”

Do you mean "COME ON" Craig? Or is Class A really elitist

Fantastic report, really gives a flavour of what it's like to be there.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 23-Jun-2009, 10:59
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
good man! keep it going!!
Old 23-Jun-2009, 11:46
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Thumbs up

Brilliant write-up Craig, love the piccies. I look forward to catching up at Oulton

We must love that racing thingy don't we?

Never won anything in 4 years, spent a fortune just to take part in it, crashed occasionnaly and even retired and came back more times than I dare to remember (*). Pure stubborness

Cheers,

Tonio.

(*): best one of all must have been retiring after the Saturday races at Castle Combe, driving all the way back to sunny Surrey moaning about how much racing is a stupid waste of money for then driving back again to the track on the Sunday morning
Old 23-Jun-2009, 21:04
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Great writeup Craig and good to see you out there again. Get rid of thes Peteb bars and you'll be fine at Oulton...............we'll be watching

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 23-Jun-2009, 21:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Nice report fella - and luv the pics...
Old 23-Jun-2009, 21:48
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Excellent, heart felt write up as usual Craig.

It's a shame that we weren't out with the B class (for your sake anyway) as you'd have had a few battles and probably learned more.

Remember that you were in a race with quite experienced guys to be honest, and your lap time was fine for a first time there. I have no doubts that you'll continue to improve and enjoy it just as much as you do at the minute.

See ya at Oulton dude!