Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Sep-2005, 15:15   #1
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Rectifier
Rectifier Regulator

I went out on the 748 on Sunday morning for a quick blast before the Moto GP. After about 30 miles the bike spluttered to a halt and when I tried to restart it the battery was dead. I called out the RAC and they were there in less than 15mins. Man checked battery and confirmed it was dead. Then he phoned his friend (another RAC chap who owns a 748) he told him exactly what to check and the verdict was the alternator is OK but the regulator is dead. Advise was to get a later (post 2001) Mine is a 1998 bike.
Question is are they all interchangeable? and if I just order a new one will it not be to the new spec? surly they don't still make naff ones. Oh and anyone know what they cost?

[Edited on 19-9-2005 by multi600]
Old 19-Sep-2005, 15:50   #2
Ducati Corse

Also check the connector down by the battery. They melt which gives the same symptoms as a failed regulator.
Old 19-Sep-2005, 16:28   #3
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Others sell them as well but thses guys seem quite well rated:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk

Good luck - Frank
Old 19-Sep-2005, 20:13   #4
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Regulators fail due to overheating and/or voltage surges from faulty stator wires and connectors. You need to solve that problem before replacing the failed unit. After five failed Ducati RRs, a relocated Electrex has worked well for me.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...d.php?tid=2042
Old 19-Sep-2005, 20:32   #5
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by multi600
Question is are they all interchangeable? and if I just order a new one will it not be to the new spec? surly they don't still make naff ones. Oh and anyone know what they cost?
They used to come with an alloy mounting plate,(acts as a heat sink) and a small loom to match up to the older type connections,.....dunno if they still do.
The price is around £116,although Newtronics do one cheaper.
Old 19-Sep-2005, 22:03   #6
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Nice link thanks for that. I got quoted £74.00 for the replacement listed for my bike or £94.00 for a 2002 bikeunit but the guy said he could not see any difference in the two units and that he would have to check with Ducati. The Electrex one is the same price at about £75.00 but is it better? I have just removed mine and the two connecters are heat damaged, I will have to take a look at the alternator end at the weekend. Thanks for all the advise I may be back for more.
Old 19-Sep-2005, 22:17   #7
Ducati Corse

Chances are the regulator you've got is okay. Just replace the connector and see what happens. It melted on my bike, left us stranded but i fixed it with a bit of wire and a soldering iron when we eventually got home.