Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 24-Mar-2006, 20:57
Ducati Corse

Quote:
By webby
Look a bit dodgy that sponsor of yours

... well dodgy Chris I recon they need to get their website sorted out and quick
Old 24-Mar-2006, 21:21
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by Henners
Quote:
By webby
Look a bit dodgy that sponsor of yours

... well dodgy Chris I recon they need to get their website sorted out and quick

just being nosey

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.
Old 24-Mar-2006, 21:25
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
good luck Paul weather may look pants for the races

but you are the "Rainmiester"
Old 24-Mar-2006, 23:27
Montjuic
Bikes: BMW800GS, Honda Firestorm

Mood: Life feels like more fun from a bike
Have a nice time!

Remember smooth lines!
All the best guys
Catherine
Old 27-Mar-2006, 10:40
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Thanks for all the messages people, terrific response .

Had a bit of a didgy start, seeing as I'd talked it over with NBs and he'd booked a towbar fitting for his car at 2.30pm Friday so we could share the costs of going to Cadwell, he was a bit frustrated when his car wouldn't start that morning! When he came round with the trailer to pick me up he'd noticed that the offside lights had gone out, which we eventually traced to a fuse, so a quick trip back to his (for a magic box of a million fuses) meant we didn't leave Havant til about half five. Got to Pete's to pick up Pete/Nicks "stealth" Monster and by the time we'd drunk Pete's coffee we eventually got on the road about 7pm, arriving at Cadwell via the A46 diversion (didn't have that on the SatNav!) just before half eleven, as it was cold, wet and generally very miserable we had another coffee with Andy Johnson, Kaz and Lin before deciding to scrap the idea of sorting out our beds and just "slept" in the front seats of Nicks car. I now realisae that I'm too old to sleep anywhere other than a bed these days!
Saturday was great weather and achance to wander round the paddock and say hello to everyone I hadn't met since last year and time to put up my tent and pump up my airbed (didn't have any explosions this time either), then had an early night cos I was still cream crackered from Friday night. Nice Chilli too Nick
When I woke up Sunday morning I wasn't prepared for the devastation!! The wind had been so strong that several peoples awnings/marquee's had been literally blown inside out, and I'd slept through the whole thing with nothing but as sheet of canvass over my head! Unless it was my snoring that did it At least the track cafe was open nice and early.
Qualifying was a bit hairy. Over the winter I (with a lot of help from PeteB) had changed the front fork preload, fitted a refurbished rear shock, added a nose fairing and had a padded hump fitted to my saddle to give my knees a bit of room so I wouldn't be locked in one position on the bike. In fact, the only thing I hadn't changed was tyres, I'm still running those that Wraysbury Tyres fitted at the start of last season! Financial restrictions mean't I hadn't been out on any trackdays to try any of this out so I was very pleasantly surprised to find the settings more or less spot on on track! Managed to get a few decent laps in but EVERY time I came round the left hander at Hall bends I had a slide of one form or other so didn't feel that I'd given of mu best. Soon changed my mind when I found out I'd qualified in 8th place! Wahoo! I'd (not very secretly) told myself that a top ten overall finish could be on the cards but hadn't expected to start there in the first race of the year as it always takes me a while to get in the groove after doing my IAM riding over winter. I wasn't the only one to suffer slides there as quite a few of the people noticed it too, it just hadn't dried out yet! Was sorry to hear that Lucie (nice to meet you at last) wasn't gonna be racing after her engine decided to eat itself during the practice day, hope to see you out at Brands ma'am
race 1 started poorly as I didn't make good use of my weight and spun the rear wheel off the line and didn't get up to speed until Coppice, chasing young Kye on the second Scooter Shop 583. We had a rare old time battling back and forth until the end of lap 2 (I think?) when he came round the outside of me and cut across in front, not only taking my line but my clutch lever too! Bugger, good job Dukes have good gearboxes and I'm used to smooth gearchanging (and he did apologise afterwards) ! Managed to get alongside Kye a few times after that but couldn't quite get by, finishing a half second down with what must have been a great battle watch only half a second behind me! Great job by Murray in his first race, one to watch in the summer eh!?! The only time I missed having a clutch was when we got forced itn Parc Ferme with the CB500's, of course once I'd stopped I couldn't get moving again without the clutch as the bikes too highly geared. Thanks to my hero of the weekend NBs996 for getting Monica back for me, and it wouldn't be the last time either!
Race 2 I was set to follow Kye and try to make a move a lap rp two from the end but my second cr@p start put paid to any such idea when about seven bikes came by me as I spun the back up on the cold track again! I managed to get 3 of them back going into Coppice and another 2 in Charlies 1 and 2 and that left me behind my old mate Senna3! Yahoo, last year we had epic battles at nearly every single track and I'd had the opportunity to see his lines at Cadwell last year.
I got by him at the top of the Gooseneck (I do like that sweeping right hander where everyone thinks they have to brake much earlier than they really need :P ) but the sly old fox got me back on the left hander coming into the Mountain, now Kev likes to take the mountain on the right hand side but that can leave you a bit short of drive off the top, so I went up on his left and passed him coming off the top of the Mountain, I think I've knocked that particular devil of mine off my shoulder! That left me just in front of Kev on the approach to Hall bends, (right, left, right, over a crest and left then hard on the brakes for the right handed Old hairpin) and I thought if I could stay alongside him (one thing I am good at is carrying cornerspeed) then I could straight line the final left hander into the hairpin and get in front again.
Kev wasn't going to back down any more than I was and we ended up leaning on each other through the first right hander, then banging fairings again on the left hander before me leaning on him into the last right hander, a little too much as it happens as teh front wheel tucked under and I clattered to the ground with a bit of a bang! So loud that Keb thought something major had happened and wanted to stop, but I'm glad he fought on as it was just one of those racing incidents where you take the risks and suffer the consequences! I had plenty of time to watch the rest fo the race and it's obvious as a spectator that there isn't a great deal of room at that turn, maybe not enough to get two bikes through eh!
A quick drive to the medic centre found that I'd dislocated my right shoulder and banged my knees up a bit (I'd like to say I finally got my knee down again after nearly 20 years but my sliders escaped unscathed!). Un/Fortunately (delete as appropriate!) I tumbled when I hit the grass and that must have popped my shoulder back in. Wish I could say the same fo rpoor Monica, that's the first time she's bit the dust and she hasn't fared too well.
You've seen the "before" piccies, I'll try and get a few "after"
Old 27-Mar-2006, 10:54
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
sorry to hear about your off, i hope that you are not too sore
Old 27-Mar-2006, 10:59
500SD

Tough luck, Paul. Sounds like you were having fun out there. So have you booked yourself in for physio for the shoulder yet?
Old 27-Mar-2006, 12:07
Big Twin

Hope you and Monica are patched up OK for round two!

Well done for achieving your objective in race one Paul.
Old 27-Mar-2006, 12:45
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Thanks for all the messages people, terrific response .

Had a bit of a didgy start, seeing as I'd talked it over with NBs and he'd booked a towbar fitting for his car at 2.30pm Friday so we could share the costs of going to Cadwell, he was a bit frustrated when his car wouldn't start that morning! When he came round with the trailer to pick me up he'd noticed that the offside lights had gone out, which we eventually traced to a fuse, so a quick trip back to his (for a magic box of a million fuses) meant we didn't leave Havant til about half five. Got to Pete's to pick up Pete/Nicks "stealth" Monster and by the time we'd drunk Pete's coffee we eventually got on the road about 7pm, arriving at Cadwell via the A46 diversion (didn't have that on the SatNav!) just before half eleven, as it was cold, wet and generally very miserable we had another coffee with Andy Johnson, Kaz and Lin before deciding to scrap the idea of sorting out our beds and just "slept" in the front seats of Nicks car. I now realisae that I'm too old to sleep anywhere other than a bed these days!
Saturday was great weather and achance to wander round the paddock and say hello to everyone I hadn't met since last year and time to put up my tent and pump up my airbed (didn't have any explosions this time either), then had an early night cos I was still cream crackered from Friday night. Nice Chilli too Nick
When I woke up Sunday morning I wasn't prepared for the devastation!! The wind had been so strong that several peoples awnings/marquee's had been literally blown inside out, and I'd slept through the whole thing with nothing but as sheet of canvass over my head! Unless it was my snoring that did it At least the track cafe was open nice and early.
Qualifying was a bit hairy. Over the winter I (with a lot of help from PeteB) had changed the front fork preload, fitted a refurbished rear shock, added a nose fairing and had a padded hump fitted to my saddle to give my knees a bit of room so I wouldn't be locked in one position on the bike. In fact, the only thing I hadn't changed was tyres, I'm still running those that Wraysbury Tyres fitted at the start of last season! Financial restrictions mean't I hadn't been out on any trackdays to try any of this out so I was very pleasantly surprised to find the settings more or less spot on on track! Managed to get a few decent laps in but EVERY time I came round the left hander at Hall bends I had a slide of one form or other so didn't feel that I'd given of mu best. Soon changed my mind when I found out I'd qualified in 8th place! Wahoo! I'd (not very secretly) told myself that a top ten overall finish could be on the cards but hadn't expected to start there in the first race of the year as it always takes me a while to get in the groove after doing my IAM riding over winter. I wasn't the only one to suffer slides there as quite a few of the people noticed it too, it just hadn't dried out yet! Was sorry to hear that Lucie (nice to meet you at last) wasn't gonna be racing after her engine decided to eat itself during the practice day, hope to see you out at Brands ma'am
race 1 started poorly as I didn't make good use of my weight and spun the rear wheel off the line and didn't get up to speed until Coppice, chasing young Kye on the second Scooter Shop 583. We had a rare old time battling back and forth until the end of lap 2 (I think?) when he came round the outside of me and cut across in front, not only taking my line but my clutch lever too! Bugger, good job Dukes have good gearboxes and I'm used to smooth gearchanging (and he did apologise afterwards) ! Managed to get alongside Kye a few times after that but couldn't quite get by, finishing a half second down with what must have been a great battle watch only half a second behind me! Great job by Murray in his first race, one to watch in the summer eh!?! The only time I missed having a clutch was when we got forced itn Parc Ferme with the CB500's, of course once I'd stopped I couldn't get moving again without the clutch as the bikes too highly geared. Thanks to my hero of the weekend NBs996 for getting Monica back for me, and it wouldn't be the last time either!
Race 2 I was set to follow Kye and try to make a move a lap rp two from the end but my second cr@p start put paid to any such idea when about seven bikes came by me as I spun the back up on the cold track again! I managed to get 3 of them back going into Coppice and another 2 in Charlies 1 and 2 and that left me behind my old mate Senna3! Yahoo, last year we had epic battles at nearly every single track and I'd had the opportunity to see his lines at Cadwell last year.
I got by him at the top of the Gooseneck (I do like that sweeping right hander where everyone thinks they have to brake much earlier than they really need :P ) but the sly old fox got me back on the left hander coming into the Mountain, now Kev likes to take the mountain on the right hand side but that can leave you a bit short of drive off the top, so I went up on his left and passed him coming off the top of the Mountain, I think I've knocked that particular devil of mine off my shoulder! That left me just in front of Kev on the approach to Hall bends, (right, left, right, over a crest and left then hard on the brakes for the right handed Old hairpin) and I thought if I could stay alongside him (one thing I am good at is carrying cornerspeed) then I could straight line the final left hander into the hairpin and get in front again.
Kev wasn't going to back down any more than I was and we ended up leaning on each other through the first right hander, then banging fairings again on the left hander before me leaning on him into the last right hander, a little too much as it happens as teh front wheel tucked under and I clattered to the ground with a bit of a bang! So loud that Keb thought something major had happened and wanted to stop, but I'm glad he fought on as it was just one of those racing incidents where you take the risks and suffer the consequences! I had plenty of time to watch the rest fo the race and it's obvious as a spectator that there isn't a great deal of room at that turn, maybe not enough to get two bikes through eh!
A quick drive to the medic centre found that I'd dislocated my right shoulder and banged my knees up a bit (I'd like to say I finally got my knee down again after nearly 20 years but my sliders escaped unscathed!). Un/Fortunately (delete as appropriate!) I tumbled when I hit the grass and that must have popped my shoulder back in. Wish I could say the same fo rpoor Monica, that's the first time she's bit the dust and she hasn't fared too well.
You've seen the "before" piccies, I'll try and get a few "after"
Very sporting me old mucker.....Now for revenge at brands i guess
Old 27-Mar-2006, 18:03
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
Paul, I was a couple of bikes behind you when you had your little excurtion, must say it looked quite uncomfortable for my viewpoint and glad to see that your OK now.

Murray Mint