Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 01-Jan-2007, 11:26
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Bmw M5

Does anyone have current or previous experience of owning/running the 5.0 litre V8 model M5 (not the current V10, the previous model).

Running costs, horror stories etc.

Thanks

BC
Old 01-Jan-2007, 11:51
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
There's one listed on Peach or Lemon http://www.peachorlemon.co.uk/

Bloke appears to like it....

Darren
Old 01-Jan-2007, 12:01
500SD

Mood: Cool as **** !
yeah,they eat vanos units,like m3's,clutches,& g/boxes are a bit week as well,buy a 540 sport,they're available as auto's,m5 isn't !!
Old 01-Jan-2007, 12:11
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
dunno about running one but have been to le mans a couple of times and around spa on track day in one - absoluuutely amazing!!!! my guess is they are "enthusiasts" cars - which has pro's and con's
Old 01-Jan-2007, 12:42
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Drop Simon Parrott (marchesini) a line - he runs one.

Nat
Old 01-Jan-2007, 18:47

Take a look at www.bm5w.co.uk. There is a complete section on the E39 M5. I'm sure you won't regret it!
Old 02-Jan-2007, 10:00
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Smile M5 experience

Hi There,

I ran an E39 M5 from new in August 1999 until October 2005 covering about 60,000 miles. I am pretty good at coaxing good fuel figures and got 18mpg around town, 25-28mpg on a careful run.
Servicing was coming up around every 12-14K with costs averaging around £300 for an Oil Service, £500 for an inspection. Do not risk using a back street garage unless you know their integrity is 110%.
From new these cars suffered from "assembly" faults like most of the other BMs I've had: whining diff, whining gearbox, very stiff selector. All done under warranty and no reoccurences. Things to check:
Must have FDSH - if you have to have (say) a cylinder head, it's £5K. A short motor £25K. Walk away if any oil leaks or traces on motor. Get the owner to state the oil consumption, some of these cars drank a pint in 200 miles. Mine did 1500 miles per pint. All the gadgets must work or repair costs will be high. I sold mine when the annual warranty extension got to £1K per year at 6 years old.
On the plus side, out of 3 M5s I had, the E39 was the best. Ace motor, good handling, and a cruiser when you want it to be. Well looked after Ms do incredible mileages without trouble. And it looks like a 520 to the unknowing!
Hope this helps. If you've any further questions please ask.

Cheers,

Norm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e39m5engine&nkb.jpg (125.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-Jan-2007, 11:36
Big Twin

Thanks Norman - very helpful.

Unfortunately I'd be looking to buy at the point at which you sold - i.e. around 5 years old / 50k miles. I wouldn't buy without full BMW service history. Have you heard of anyone having major engine problems even after proper BMW servicing?

Thanks

BC
Old 02-Jan-2007, 15:37
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Bmw M5

Hi,

I still have close contact with the main agents in Blackpool (Derek Woodman - ex motorcycle champion) so I've just left a message on their chief techncian's voice mail to call me back. When he does I'll ask him what horrors he's had in the workshop and then pass them on to you.

This guy came 2nd in the World in BMWs quality competition for techies (a German won - no fix then). He blue-printed my first E34 3.6L M5 in 1990. Motorsport built it with the wrong grade pistons and an incorrectly machined timing cover. Hmmm. I asked him to rebuild it to tightest tolerances which proved to be a mistake, but quite funny. Smoke poured off the engine when they started it as the heat was unbelievable. Any more than 50mph and she started to boil the oil. Took me over 10,000 miles to free her off. But then, she turned in 5mpg better than new and hit the 155 speed limiter with a vengence. Not bad for 315bhp.

Cheers,

Norman B.
Old 02-Jan-2007, 15:40
Big Twin

Thanks Norman.

It's very kind of you to go to so much trouble. Thank you very much.

BC

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit