Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Oct-2005, 08:46
Big Twin

PC3 & Custom map - result!

Following my little problem with the ECU last week I have now taken the plunge and got a Power Commander 3 fitted. This was done by Dynomax UK Ltd of Lincoln (formally Horncastle). Price quoted was £297 fitted, plus £88 to go on the dyno for a custom map.

Excellent service, very friendly and the fuelling was all explained to me. The bike now feels a lot smoother on a test run last night.

Max has a Hailwood Replica that he has owned since new, and might well be joining the DSC. He was concerned about being the only bevel owner in the DSC but I assured him that was not the case. I dropped the bike off about 9-30 and it was ready for me to fetch after 1pm. Very knowledgable chap, and I had an interesting afternoon chatting about bikes.

I also managed negotiate a 10% DSC discount with him.

http://www.dynomaxuk.com/dyno_thefacts.html

They do lots of other bling too - including Gilles rearsets, Zero GRavity screens, wheels, suspenion & exhausts.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by HW]

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by HW]
Old 01-Oct-2005, 10:13
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Henry you have a u2u.

Chris.
Old 01-Oct-2005, 18:00
Mille

HW, would it be possible to get some more details on your ECU problem and what exactly the PC resolved for you?? If you saw my other thread I just installed a full system on my 749s and now is has a pretty good flat spot between 5-7k if you roll in it too hard. I think it was the nature of this engine even in stock trim and my exhaust aggrivated the situation. The bike overall is just running immaculate. Not a single other symptom but my flat spot and it's tolerable. I'm curious though if a PC and dyno would get that out of there. As far as smootheness and throttle response though, I don't know how it could get muc better.
Old 01-Oct-2005, 19:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Hi HW
do you have an asymetric or a symetric exhaust, ie did you have 2 maps done, one for each cylinder, as would be the case or the asymetric?

Also what was the result? How much power do you reckon the PC111 added?
Old 02-Oct-2005, 21:44
Big Twin

OK, well. Hmmm ....

Asymetric exhaust. Did point out that it was the asymetric systme but I didn't realsie I shoudl be expecting 2 maps. Not sure, have to do some research on that one.

There was (still is) a dip in the power curve, but the PC3 has smoothed it out a bit. The biggest difference I have noticed now is the throttle response. It's always "ready to go" which it wasn't before (even with the correct ECU for the Termi). The fueliing is now within the limits throughout the range, as with the Termi and std ECU it was very lean which you would expect.

The peak power is just a tad over the 100bhp mark. I was disappointed, but Dynomax reckoned that was good. What surprised me was that I was expecting to see peak power at 8,500 rpm or thereabouts, but it wasn't. It kept going until just over 10,000rpm when the limiter cut in.

The problem with the old ECU was that it went "pop"! Half was down PArk Straight (I know, I spend WAY too much time at Cadwell!) it was like slamming the brakes on and one cylinder cut out. Got back to the paddock and it was spluttering and cutting out. I thought it was the front coil, having had trouble with coils earlier in the year but it turned out to be the ECU. It turned out that Ducati UK didn't have any in stock so I opted to have the standard ECU put back on and then a Power Commander to go with it.

That's the story, and when the replacement ECU arrives I shall have one (unkeyed) if anyone wants one. Or I might just wait until next year and sell the asymetric system and put a different one on.
Old 02-Oct-2005, 22:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
OK, well. Hmmm ....

Asymetric exhaust. Did point out that it was the asymetric systme but I didn't realsie I shoudl be expecting 2 maps. Not sure, have to do some research on that one.

There was (still is) a dip in the power curve, but the PC3 has smoothed it out a bit. The biggest difference I have noticed now is the throttle response. It's always "ready to go" which it wasn't before (even with the correct ECU for the Termi). The fueliing is now within the limits throughout the range, as with the Termi and std ECU it was very lean which you would expect.

The peak power is just a tad over the 100bhp mark. I was disappointed, but Dynomax reckoned that was good. What surprised me was that I was expecting to see peak power at 8,500 rpm or thereabouts, but it wasn't. It kept going until just over 10,000rpm when the limiter cut in.

am I correct in saying you have a 749 not a 749S?

you couldn't mail me a copy of your map could you?
Old 02-Oct-2005, 22:56
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by 749er
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
OK, well. Hmmm ....

am I correct in saying you have a 749 not a 749S?

you couldn't mail me a copy of your map could you?

749S, 2003 model. I've not sorted out downloading the map yet, but I will. Drop me a U2U with your email address.
Old 03-Oct-2005, 00:18
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
'03 749S has the same engine as all base 749s and 749 Darks. Only the '04 and '05 749S bikes have different motors, and of course the 749R.
Old 03-Oct-2005, 04:43
Mille

Just so I understand...you're running the stock ECU with the PC3 and not the new Termi ECU? I was curious myself just what exactly the new ECU actually does. After installing my system and the ECU it still ran like crap. Had to go get it tuned anyways. Running great now (except for my flat spot) but left me curious as to how it would run if I left the stock ECU in and had it tuned to match the system??? Just what exactly did the Termi ECU actually change...rev limiter, timing, fuel mapping, all of the above??
Old 03-Oct-2005, 04:49
Big Twin

I only know of 2 things the ECU changed. The fuelling to match the Termi to stop it running too lean, and it also ahd the "managed start" that I am disappointed to have lost. I keep stabbing the button now forgetting that i have to hold it and sort myself, but I'll get used to it again soon.

As far as I know, the Ducati ECU is not programmable in any way hence the "swap" instead of a "chip change".

The guy who did the job said that the PC maps are based on the standard ECU. It interupts the signals sent to the fuel injection and remaps it. Not sure how it is "based on" anything then, but I don't understand all the details.