Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:27   #1
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
How much power can you get from a 620?
I entered the DD series this year intially on a pretty stock 2002 620ie and have spent some money on personal riding development and slowly added a few performance extras to the bike.

As a result of these, my perfomances have improved and I intend to further invest in my bike and myself for next year's series.

I'm pretty sure about how I'll develop my riding next year, but as a hypothetical exercise, what can be achieved in terms of performance upgrade to a 620ie and at what cost?

With paddock talk of 70+ bhp bikes for next year, how realistic is this? What would deliver this kind of performance?

Whilst not expecting to get to these levels of performance, what can be achieved, how and at what cost?

My plan would be 6-speed box, custom exhaust and PC map, but what else? As engine work is extremely restricted, what can be done? Blueprinting? Suspension?

Tim
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:30   #2
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I'd concentrate on suspension Tim, I think this is where you'll find the biggest gains in laptimes. Sure you might find more power out of the engine but in terms of cost per reducing laptimes I didn't think it was worthwhile chasing.

IMO
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:38   #3
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I'd concentrate on suspension Tim, I think this is where you'll find the biggest gains in laptimes. Sure you might find more power out of the engine but in terms of cost per reducing laptimes I didn't think it was worthwhile chasing.

IMO

Fair enough - but I know sod all about suspension!!! I wouldn't know a preload change from a compression change if it smacked me in the kisser!!!

The suspension on mine feels fine, its had reworked front forks and a S4 rear shock, but the only adjustments I've made to either was going 2 clicks harder on the rear shock (why? - because I could!!) I then subsequently had a big slide at Brands and I quickly moved it back. But I felt / noticed no difference.

I suppose I could get someone to work with me on this, maybe the suspension guy at 100% for example, but without knowing what's wrong (if anything) with my suspension now - how can this get better? Perhaps I shoudl ride someone's DD bike that has been setup? But in all likelyhood this would be setup for them and may feel worse to me?

Perhaps I should get myself to a track and get playing.
Tim
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:38   #4
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i think 70+ is realistic but as tony says outright power is not the be all and end all. you need to be able to use what you have effectively.

i dont think a few bhp makes chuff all difference to be honest. but most of the front runners either/have or will have a few mods such as pc's giving upwards of 65 bhp.

but the the talented rider with a well set up bike will prevail.

b.t.w im going down the same route as you. sssshhhhhh.....
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:40   #5
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Snot is currently 65.7 and the tango queen is 66.5

As you might remember tho, it has been a constant battle for AK to get increase of power on the 'Snot Mobile - here is the 'fight' for the increase this season for Snotty;

Cadwell woodland: 583 std, on 48hp - got good placings tho with a 5th & 6th
Castle C : 675 on 52.5 hp 5th & 7th
Snett: 675 on 54hp - smoking badly 10th
Donny: 620: on 62.5 - 2nd & 5th (after guest riders removed from points)
Brands 620: on 65.7 with PC fitted - novice rider out for first go, no results....

Snot also had the benefit of forks re-worked, and good rear susp, which was more important to us, than the higher HP at the start of racing.

We will be returning the snot to 583, and the tango queen MAY get an FIM chip for next season, IF all our 'garage sale' booty goes. We expect to then get approx another 2hp.... but then again, if Andy can ride like he did on Sunday, we might just leave as is, except getting the forks done

C
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:40   #6
Mille

Mood: Great
Better brakes so you can brake later, should save 10th in every corner + better suspension.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:44   #7
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Tim why not visit someone like K-Tech etc, they're not that local but what they don't know isn't worth knowing, I guess you could give them a call and explain your needs, riding style, weight etc etc they might just have some base settings, or might go further, springs/revalve etc
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:44   #8
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I'd be dubious that you could get more than 70bhp without ram-air effect. It seems to me that there's a definite ceiling around the 65-66bhp mark before costs become absurd (unless you have free labour).

Far more importantly, I think the useability of the engine diminishes as you eek the last couple of bhp out of it. Off-idle fuelling and an asthmatic bottom end seem to be the results of overtuning.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:44   #9
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by itexuk
Better brakes so you can brake later, should save 10th in every corner + better suspension.

Already got those, the brake setup is better than my 996R
Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:45   #10
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Off-idle fuelling and an asthmatic bottom end seem to be the results of overtuning.

Where's babel-fish when you need it uzz led: