Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2006, 22:38

999R / 999S Compatibility & 57mm Termi setup

Help / Experience / Suggestions needed regarding fitting/tuning a Termignoni 57mm symmetrical Full Race Exhaust w/Titanium End Can on my 2004 999S (Grey Swing Arm).

Hi everyone....My first ever post. . . . . & a newbie to Ducati's.

I wish to fit the full blown 57mm race exhaust w/race air filters which I have obtained & need advice/experiences of how to get the best out of the bike.

Question: As the 57mm system comes with an unused 999R ECU; Can I used this in place of my 999S ECU? Or, would it be better to used a DynoJet PowerCommander in conjunction with my existing 999S ECU, selecting one of the many fueling maps they provide, to override my current ECU?
I am concerned that the 999R could be detrimental to the engine to the extent of damaging it or making it unruly for road use or even that it plain won't work.

Thanks in anticipation of learning something . . . .
Martin
Old 12-Sep-2006, 22:55
Mille

Welcome matey. Hope your enjoying the bike.

Best bet is wait for Wilf to come along and answer your questions.

Mine's an Um Bongo
Old 12-Sep-2006, 22:56
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Hi mate, tradition dictates you visit the bar first..........

I would suggest you get a pc111 usb and have a bit of dyno time this can be done with either cpu!......it will all be worth it in the end with figures up in the 140+bhp and around 80llbs of torque...........
Old 12-Sep-2006, 23:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
welcome, mine is a tall sasparilla.

For best results, use a PC111 with a custom map for each cylinder. I had mine done by Dynotech near Basingstoke. engine runs real sweet wth over 60lbft torque from a 749 (not S) with the 54mm system. There is quite a difference in the fuelling demands between the vertical and horizontal cylinders
Old 13-Sep-2006, 20:17
Mille

the 999R has a short stroke motor so the timing will not be the same, I think,
so use the 999S eu, and A pc111, or you could try one of the new type ,
http://www.mmcompsys.com/motorsportsengine.html
Old 13-Sep-2006, 20:59
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
57mm system for the R model comes with the airfilters (use them) and the ECU for the R model. (dont use it with your S motor)

The S model you're sat on in your avtar, is an 03/04 model, so if you fit the R system from an 03 model year (with the same swingarm as yours) that would be ideal, BUT you may need to mod the frame mount or pipework (official mod says put a dent in it!) for a good fit.

If the R system is from an 04 model (with the black box swingarm) then you will have problems fitting it to your bike with the grey cast swingarm.

Either way, to get the best out of it (or even make it run right correctly) the best option is a PC3, with a custom map.

if budget is a problem (expect to pay about £185 for a custom map to be done, more for an advanced map for each cylinder) then you can try it with one of the standard maps from powercomander.com but you will bet FAR better results with a custom one.

good luck.

Wilf

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 17-Sep-2006, 18:04
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)
Thumbs up Welcome !

Welcome to the club !

As a fellow new boy i have trod a similar route to you.

My 999s is also an 04 model, but i went for the asymetrical system mainly due to costs.

I have ftted a PCIII, elsewhere on here you will find pics of a carbon bracket that JHP supply which does an excellent job of locating the PCIII on the rhs of the bike which is much better than mounting it on the battery bracket, you can even plug the USB lead in with the fairing on !

Presently i am running the standard CPU and a downloaded map, but will get a custom map done soon with individual cylinder mappings. I doubt that i will use the Termignoni CPU, although there is a rumour that it raises the rev limit and if it does then i will.

Good luck with your fitment of the pipes, and modding them !

STeve
Old 18-Sep-2006, 17:54
Mille

slow learner can you and any others who has a advanced map(ie one for each cylinder) let me know how much it costs, as the only place that I can find down my way has quoted me per cylinder and as you do both at the same time it seems wrong to me, a bit more for the extra gear they need but not twice as much,
so I want to know if the ripoff is nation wide.
ps if I remember right the red line on the standard ecu is 10'000 the race ecu is 10'250 ish, I try not to run my one to the limiter but it's over 10'000
thanks

Last edited by bike mad : 18-Sep-2006 at 18:05.
Old 18-Sep-2006, 19:56

Hi Nick. An Um Bongo it is!
Old 18-Sep-2006, 21:58

Thanks Everyone, especially Wilf's knowledgable comments, for confirming what I suspected. I'll be fitting the 57mm Full 'zorst, Race Air Filters, PowerCommander in line with the standard 999S ECU and a suitable generic DynoJet map, next week. Then I'll book a dyno session to get it mapped for both cylinders. I'll keep everybody posted in a couple of weeks or so as I step along with the upgrade. I've also aquired an STM Slipper Clutch, today. I think I'll need it. . . . .
Thanks again
Um Bongo's & Sasparillos all round when I meet you. That's if you can catch me . . . . vroom . . . vroom . . . . . or is that RhuBarb . . . . RhuBarb