Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jan-2012, 18:51
Mille

Do I need a PC3?

Just wondering whether I really need a PC3 as all I have on the 1098 is some termi's with the DP ECU?

Anyone seen any dyno runs on these and the differences? I'm assuming any difference would only be in the mid range rather than top end?
Old 07-Jan-2012, 14:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If set up right, fuelling on the stock DP ECU is pretty good at full throttle. There is some mileage in tweaking part throttle points to improve feel and rideability low down. These are the "benefits", I wouldn't promise any more power although you may get a bit...

Having the TPS reset and the base fuelling setup and balanced is easy and cheaper and is always my first choice before throwing £400 or so at a PC and dyno setup.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:22
Mille

That's what I had thought. I know how to reset the TPS but what do you mean by the base fuelling setup (setting the CO?). I assume the balance is just ensuring that both throttle bodies are synchronized?
Old 08-Jan-2012, 19:47
Ducati Corse

Yeah, pretty much. The 1098 isn't like the older bikes though. Don't touch the balance bar on the throttles or the stop screws. You don't even take the lid off the airbox.
Reset the TPS. There's no idle adjustment as it's servo controlled. Balance the throttles using the air bleeds and then set idle CO to around 4%.
I'd get a couple of runs on a dyno then to see where you're at and go from there.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 23:27
Mille

Is the 4% CO because of the DP ECU as I thought the standard CO reading was 0.7%?

The PC3 sounds like it's of more use for road bikes rather than track bikes.
Old 09-Jan-2012, 13:27
Ducati Corse

4% is pretty much a common all baseline setting. The 0.7% is for tree huggers and keeping them happy. The 4% richens things up a bit and the Ducati like their fuel.
Tbh, the PC probably suits road bikes more in that it's the low speed response that can be tweaked. Race/track bikes really need any low down civiality and as the top end fuels quite well, it needs less work.
Basically, to answer your question......Do you have a problem?? If not, save your cash for fuel, beer and curry and enjoy the bike I've tried all sorts of parts and add ons without really seeing any benefit, other than just having them on the bike. If there's an issue with the fuelling, then a PC will probably cure it. I'd get it set up first though

Last edited by nelly : 09-Jan-2012 at 13:32.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 01:21
Mille

I did wonder where the 0.7% had come from in the 1098 workshop manual as i'd been used to aiming for 4% in the past. Never really noticed a problem with the fuelling and if i'm not really going to find masses of mid range then I'll do as you say and spend the cash on something useful like tyres or beer.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 13:33
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown
I'll do as you say and spend the cash on something useful like tyres or beer.

Or trackdays!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 11-Jan-2012, 18:12
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Or trackdays!
Old 12-Jan-2012, 09:58
Ducati Corse

Tbh, if the bike's running fine and/or your happy with it, then tyres and/or a suspension work over will work for you much better.
The front end is pretty good from riding my own and usually a few tweaks will sort it. The rear can be improved as it's too hard and has no sag. K-tech or JHP can work it over for not a lot and the benefit vs. £'s spent is much better than a PC.