Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Apr-2005, 02:05
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Not sure if this is linked in to starting problems, but ....

You could ask if the bike has had ECU or Clock related problems. I think early bike could have had problems with the ECU etc. My own ECU and Clock ware swapped under warranty, these are linked and programmed to each other. I would not be put off by hearing that the ECU has been changed, but, at least you would know it has been sorted.

Not 100% sure but, I think when you hit the starter button the newer ECU takes over and will automatically turn the bike over for about 15 seconds without having to hold the starter button down. Very early bikes did not do this. Also another tell tale sign is the bottom locating pin on the back of the clocks. Early clocks have plastic locating pins, newer clocks have an ally pin with a clamp around the wiring loom plug.

My own bike get's better with more miles, first 1000 or so it stalled quite regular, next few 100 it got better and from 1400 onwards it seems fine.
Old 12-Apr-2005, 11:24
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
My stalling ('04 749S) started before 1000m and after the first service. You need to get the bike properly set up to cure it. This is cam timing, CO2 mix and tick over. Once I'd had all those set up properly it was fine. It's not just an '03 thing.

Oh, and they all sound like they're struggling to start. They do get there in the end though!
Old 12-Apr-2005, 11:29
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
I push the starter without any choke and give it just a wiff of gas and as soon as it fires I give it some choke until its idling at 1300 rpm. Never really have any problem starting it
Old 12-Apr-2005, 14:09

In the south London area, I would also recommend Pro Twins. I got mine from there and it has not stalled once...hope I am not tempting fate.

When you go into Pro Twins the reception is in the workshop so you can stand and see them working on your bike. Somewhere that has that sort of confidence in what they are doing is bound to be good. At least that was the basis I used to deal with them and I have not been sorry.

To give you an idea of the level of service, mine was in for its first service on Saturday. Dropped it off at 9am and went back at 5pm to pick it up. They also fitted the DP hugger which was ordered at the same time as the bike but did not arrive on time for it to be fitted as part of the PDI. When they rolled the bike off the bench it was spotted that the shock was hitting the hugger. Turns out on the '05 bikes with the "r" swing arm, the DP "R" hugger hits the shock for some reason. Further examination showed that the Ohlins shock base plate sits higher than the Showa shock base plate, so the hugger works with the 999S and 999R with the new swing arm but not the base model.

Pro Twins worked at the bike, fabricating the hugger and rotating the shock until it all fitted nicely, finishing up at 8pm on Saturday evening. Any other dealer, I am sure, would have either taken the hugger off and given me back the bike or told me to call back for the bike a few days later.

I would say that they are not cheap...first service (600 mile), a throttle mod (shorter movement and bit more weight) and a 14 tooth front sprocket left me with a bill of £500...but the workmanship is of a very high quality.

They also have a reasonable selection of 749s/999s both used and new to choose from.
Old 12-Apr-2005, 15:21
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Gareth, that is big money for a first service.

Mine was done at Leeds last week £190 inc vat. Throttle cut out sorted, had Termi's fitted no labour charge. Also got them to fit some carbon belt covers that i purchased from them and a tax disc holder that i didn't again no charge.

They replaced a stone chip number board they fitted at new because in one corner about half an inch was starting to come un stuck and water may have got in behind, you would have struggled to notice. I had fitted an optimate cable connector to the battery that I leave tucked behind the fairing when riding this is now clipped on to the frame - much tidier.

I didn't ask for most of this it was just done. Top Service.
Old 12-Apr-2005, 15:36
Montjuic

Sorry to hear about the problems, I suffered domething similar on my '04 BP. Ended up being the coils that were knackered! Replaced under warranty. Termis fitted now and would occasionally have problems but since I have been using it more all seems to have settled down nicely.

Hope you get it fixed.
Stu
Old 12-Apr-2005, 18:50

Quote:
Originally posted by jobr
Gareth, that is big money for a first service.

Mine was done at Leeds last week £190 inc vat.

To be fair, the total was 6.5 hours labour plus various parts for the throttle mod, and a front sprocket. I am not sure how much time is allocated for a first service..but if the service works out at say £200, and the throttle mod came to £250, that leaves £50 for supply and fit for the front sprocket. I think the parts for the throttle mod worked out close to £100.

To be honest it was probably about £100 more than I was expecting....but hard to argue and they did do a very good job! The bike feels like a totally different animal the service....
Old 25-Apr-2005, 17:19
Montjuic
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada V4S Sport

I have had the cutting out prob on my 749s ever since I bought it. My dealer has re-aligned the cams. The CPU went a few weeks ago and has now been replaced.

The dealer seems to think that all 04 749's suffer from throttle body problems and that Ducati have been inundated with warranty claims for them. Anyone know if this is the case??
Cheers
Old 25-Apr-2005, 17:47
Big Twin

Mood: r
mine doesnt miss a beat now
Old 25-Apr-2005, 17:58
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro
mine doesnt miss a beat now

Well what else would you expect from a road bike:P