Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-May-2003, 12:18
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Ian.....

Does the carbon airbox have the clips for the airtubes already fitted?

If so, then you're fine, if not, you'll need to remove the clips from the original airbox and fix to the new, or get some new clips.

But as these are rivetted on, then they should be fitted to the new airbox already.

Just give yourself plenty of time and you'll be fine, worse case is you'll have to leave her as she is for a while, but you'll have learnt a lot about changing it when you can change this.

Tim
Old 24-May-2003, 00:44

Ooops, Did anyone also mention the rubber seal for the tank that is sometimes glued on. This will have to transferred across as well or buy a new one.....
Old 24-May-2003, 02:09
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
carbob air box

One word of warning, if you have to transfer & rivet the air tube retaining clips onto the new box be careful as carbon can shatter, take it slowlwy and be careful.
Old 24-May-2003, 18:04
WSB Hero

Stimpy - good point about the rubber.

RCGBOB -Maybe if the clips aren't there it may be better to use little bolts to fix them, rather than risk the shatter!!

If you do use bolts be sure to loctite them in - we don't need any bolts inside that engine!!!

Tim
Old 25-May-2003, 00:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Update from the garage

Ok guys, there's good news and bad news.
It is an easier job than I thought. Uncliped the seat unit, - but did n't have to remove it, - carefullt balanced it 6 inches back. Got the wife to hold the tank clear whilst I unconnected the breather, 2 hoses and electrcal bit. Pulled the tank off. Pleasant surprise to find a big foam thingy in there, - careully pulled that off the trumpets, unscrewed them, got Henry hoover in there to get rid of all the bits that had fallen into the injectors. Got the old airbox off, easy, new one on, did not tighten up too much as new box has just carbon holes rather than sleeved with metal as the old one was. The rubber tank seal was glued around the forward edge, - but 10 mins with a stanley knife got it off and useable on the new. I did have the clips on the new airbox already. Bit of a fiddle to get the foam filter over the front trumpet, think I got it ok. Tank located over front sticky out bit, - going really well I am thinking, - call the wife to come hold the tank up whilst I re-connect the hoses, - she is not happy, as she is watching the Mummy Returns, - foget the greese on the petrol connectors, - prime the fuel system, - damn, - leaking from one side. 1 of the tiny O-rings has an edge missing. I was warned, even advised by a man that knows, Nelly, to buy new ones before I started the job, - I was even in a dealer's today.
So for the sake of 10p o-ring I miss the Surrey and South meeting tomorrow.

I will be in P&H tomorrow morning for a few o rings.

Putting the fuel connectors back, you have to push them up without releasing the little clip thing on the tank? I would imagine if you push that clip in, without the hose being connected fuel will just come rushing out?

Thanks everybody that has helped so far.
Old 25-May-2003, 19:00
Ducati Corse

Very unlucky that it is a Bank Holiday tomorrow!
Old 25-May-2003, 23:25
WSB Hero

When you're pushing the fuel connectors (unions) back, you don't need to push the releases in,. you'll know if the pipes are connected corretly as these will click into place.

Did warn you about the grease though!!

Just make sure you grease the o-rings and that the connectors are lined up before you push them home.

Tim
Old 26-May-2003, 10:53
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
all done

I really appreciate all the help here given by you all, - and thank you P&H for being open on a Sunday, -for those 16p little green o-rings. I joined the que of individuals holding their little plastic bags in front of the parts counter.
It is an easy job, - perhaps does need another person to just hold the back of the tank up 6 inches to get the hoses on and off, and anybody else reading this in future remember always grease your o-rings

It is good to do a job like this, - I have learnt a bit more about my bike, - and I discovered that I have an ITG foam filter that I did n't know i had.

Right then, - save for the carbon air-tubes and fit those next.
Old 26-May-2003, 18:58

If you push the metal clips in on the tank side fuel does not come out. They purely retain the male fitting once pushed in to place. It is best to push these in as you fit the connector as it moves the metal edge away from the O-ring and reduces the chance of damge. Just sangging the metal clip can be enough to cause damage.
Old 26-May-2003, 21:00
WSB Hero

Ian

Were there any filters in the air tubes too?

'cause you won't need these?

Depending upon when the filter was fitted, you may want to look at oiling it!

Tim