Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2004, 18:55
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Tw*t of the week?

They do say that 90% of all accidents happen within 1/4 of home.......

I took the 888 up to Croft (300 miles) for its first trackday with its 916 motor, nice shiny single seat (that's another story in itself), hi-level microns etc etc.

Bike went great,warped a disc and shredded the rear supercorsa but brought bike all the way home safely on the trailer........and dropped it off of the trailer in the driveway.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story is: keep the bike 1/2 mile from home and everything will be ok!
Old 27-Apr-2004, 22:35
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Sorry to hear that Paul, hope there's not too much damage.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 23:44
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Ooops, thought this was another thread about vman.

Sorry to hear about that Paul. These things always happen when you least expect them to.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 23:47
Mille

Oh mate sorry to hear that, hope you didnt do too much damage?

How did you get on with fitting the single seat then?
Old 29-Apr-2004, 03:08
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
Hey Paynep

How easy/hard was putting th e916 motor into the 888? Have you done a write up on it anywhere?
Old 29-Apr-2004, 14:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Hi Celeste,

fitting the seat was easy as I was using a race foam pad rather than the original seat, however it was chafing on the rear pillion grabhandle mountings. Probably wouldnt be a problem if using the original seat as you won't actually be sitting on the tailpiece like I was. As I have a spare strada subframe I will cut off the grabhandle brackets to solve the problem.
I will try to do a set of pics on this project....

Eddie,

I used a 916 crank and pistons in the 888 crankcases so it was a piece of cake. (The heads and barrels are identical to a 916 bip, but you DO need the 916 pistons as crown-gudgeon pin height is different to the 888).
Lightened flywheel, adjustable cam pulleys, change of FIM chip and voila, Cadwell here we come!

Cheers

Paul
Old 29-Apr-2004, 16:59
Mille

Think I can put my hand up to being **** of the week #2!

Working on my new monster today, fitting high level cans I had to undo the footrest bolts on both sides as you have to fit spacers.

What I didn't realise and no one told me was one of the LHS footrest bolts also secures the sidestand mechanism in place so as I undid the last bolt the sidestand slipped forward and bike landed on top of me!

As I was sitting on the floor at the time I cushioned the blow. With no one around to help me I somehow found some super human strength to lift the bike off me I then discovered I had snapped the footrest.

I've only had the bike 6 days! DOH!
Old 29-Apr-2004, 18:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Sorry to hear about the disasters, makes me a little happier about mine dropping off the bike table though.
We all seem to have some sort of dramas.

Ho Hum.

Old 30-Apr-2004, 14:47
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Disasters

Hows this for one:
One night last year I came home and parked my 916 up in the garage on the prop stand.

I came to look at the bike in the morning only to find it on the floor with a broken nose fairing caused by a knackererd mirror stay rotating when the mirror hit the floor and stressing the fairing

After what I thought was a reasonable attempt at plastic welding the fairing it broke again about a week later.

This ended up with me having to buy a new nose fairing - one way to get rid of a few stone chips though!!

The original cause of this disaster - a slow puncture on the back tyre - the bike has been on its paddock stand every night since then
Old 01-May-2004, 17:36

Mood: Variable
Wheeling my newly rebuilt 748 off the bike bench. Didn't notice prop stand down. It dug in as the back wheel came off the ramp & momentum propelled the bike away from me over the "high side" until it was lying virtually upside down on it's RHS.
Escaped with scuffed paint & v'sore arms from snatching it back onto it's wheels in a panic.