Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Aug-2005, 13:31
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
vive la difference!!!

To be fair i havn't ridden a 999R but have ridden a 749 and it IS a much better and more refined bike than my 748R. Am i being too honest?
Old 06-Aug-2005, 13:37
everton

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu748R
vive la difference!!!

To be fair i havn't ridden a 999R but have ridden a 749 and it IS a much better and more refined bike than my 748R. Am i being too honest?

Can't comment as I haven't ridden either but the 999R is eminently more usable than the 996SPS but has slightly (v.slightly) less soul - there honest enough?
Old 06-Aug-2005, 14:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Everton you were worried about me.
have you been on the beer flavoured crisps :P
Old 06-Aug-2005, 14:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
vive la difference!!!

not really - havent ridden the latest style but its a 'heart' thing and as such is the only product I have bought that has been ruled by looks first...wanted one since they came out...then all the other stuff way after...newer probably is better but I would rather have a new gixxer K5 or R1 than a 999 coz if style doesnt come into it then these bikes will be at leats as good and cost half as much...Ducati = style and performance, Jap = performance and reliability, take the sytle away and you ainy got much left...you may as well have reliability instead
Old 06-Aug-2005, 14:52
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by everton
Quote:
vive la difference!!!

Can't comment as I haven't ridden either but the 999R is eminently more usable than the 996SPS but has slightly (v.slightly) less soul - there honest enough?

Outstanding Dave, who would have thought a true blue knew how to be honest.
Old 06-Aug-2005, 14:54
BSB Star

So really, what has this shown us? What is better, the more common & newer 999R's or the rarer 996R and the slightly more common than the 6R 998R.

What do the prices tell us as well?
Old 07-Aug-2005, 01:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
What makes me laff is the magazines that say Ducs are just for Sunday blasts. ********. In the last 4 months i've done 7000 miles on the 996R. Each day i walk past the Multi and use the R for commuting, touring, blasts out and the odd track day.

I look at it and it makes me feel good, i ride it and it makes me feel brilliant, do i give a ***** about the mileage, NO, ITS FUN. Get out there and enjoy now before winter comes.

The fun of nailing it thru France is one of lives big joys, this is the stuff dreams are made of, doesn't matter if its a 600SS or a 999R, the grin is the same.

Apart from the wife and kids that i adore, this is what i live for,
LIVE THE DREAM. Go out and bloody enjoy it, and be grateful.

Your bike is FUN, escapism at its best.

Sayz the man sat by the bonfire with drink in hand looking in the garage at the bikes. Life is good. (but the hangover won't be)

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by BDG]
Old 07-Aug-2005, 15:33
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bungi
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA

R1
R7
SP2

and Iam happy.

Roger Roger - Derrick is on his way out!

[Edited on 5-8-2005 by RCA]

if there enough in your bike budget to afford 3 average jap bikes and you choose those out of preferance god help you.
because there no real sense there if you want something special. IMHO

Of my bike wish list, how many of the above bikes have you ever riden around a track? Thought not. No experiance = No opinion...zip it George.

you are so unessessary

ive owned 2 R1's (2002my) and ridden an R7 (very overrated by todays standards , but hey its the best thing in your garage right now)

i once threw my leg over an sp2 but befor i could pull away i was violently sick

why come here asking for opinions then shoot your mouth off at the response, which was largely helpful and constructive untill you got brash

experiance!!!!! yes thank you i have plenty, as do many other members of a the club here so whats your name mr track god ???Carl Fogarty

do us all a favour and buy another jap bike then go join the relevent message board there
Old 07-Aug-2005, 21:57
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Your totaly right, but we dont need to **** them off to prove have good ours are,do we!!!!
Old 08-Aug-2005, 13:28
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Bungi
Quote:
[i]

Quote:
Originally posted by bungi
the bostrum and baylis reps are very good spec bikes with most of the desired goodies if not the carbon. id always prefer the R models as the reps tend to look abit dated very quickly. unless your a real bostrum / bayliss fan. the bostrum is a bit more unuusal with just 155 made, the blue frame and wheels tend to make one consider that they are quite differant.

Frame, wheels, grips, seat pad, headlight bucket all different and there wasn't just 155 made, 155 for the US market, less power to meet emissions but carbon bodywork and signed tank, Euro spec "S" Engine but plastic bodywork. Bostrom rep isn't a race rep also due to tobacco advertising (L&M) it's a rep of his lid.

Also the Bayliss/Bostrom reps have Ohlins forks over the standard S model

so how comes the one i was gonna buy had plaque with **/155 on it?
ps it didnt have carbon bodywork or signed tank either
it was a uk bike!!

You're getting confused here!

They made 155 for the US market, but because the S motor didn't meet emissions they had to put the standard (non deep sump) motor in the bike, but because of less power they made up for it as it got carbon bodywork and the US bikes had the tank signed.

The Euro bikes (another 155 of them), did get the S motor, so plastic bodywork and the tanks weren't signed.

So you do have a bike with */155 and plastic bodywork and an unsigned tank - a UK bike