Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Sep-2005, 12:49
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Wiring loam 916 -998

Can anyone help me

I had to replace my lamp holder on my 1996 916 as I had a accident. I bought a 998 sps lamp holder on EBay complete with electrics. The only difference I can see was a cable leading to a rely or switch (see picture attached). I assume it is the safty relay for the stand. The problem is I have the old stand that is spring loaded and therefore has no switch.

When I conected everything up the bike wont start. Nothing.. Is there a way to by pass the switch/relay or do I have to completly change the whole wiring loam

I have attached a picture (next thread) of how the switch/relay looks like when unpluged. Can I not jump the connections
Old 05-Sep-2005, 12:50
GTL

How the switch looks when apart
Old 05-Sep-2005, 13:34
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
A wiring loom from a bike with a sidestand switch will have a 3 pin sealed connector hanging down near the stand. There should be two wires. Someone with a wiring diagram will tell you how to bypass the system on that connector. I just can't remember off hand.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 13:46
GTL

That's the problem. I don't have the cable for the stand as it's a 1996 model so I need to modify the relay at the lamp holder end. Or could the cable for the stand be tucked away somewhere else on the bike??
Old 05-Sep-2005, 14:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
on my 996S harness the sidestand connector is on the right side of the bike, it exits from the harness at the same point as the oil pressure switch connector. And unlike the later bikes it only has two wires although it is a 3 pin connector. I just shorted the two wires together.
I think they may be one Grey one and one white one.

did you mean 996SPS or 998S
My 996S harness has 2 relays in the headlamp holder and the 998BP harness only has one relay but has a extra relay by the battery
Old 05-Sep-2005, 22:06
GTL

Just for further reference, the wiring loom in the lampholder from a 998 does not work on a pre 1998 916. We have tried every posssibility, asked every expert (thanks too Skidlids and Felix) and checked every info site on the net. I have therefore had to use the old cables and everything works as it should do Thanks for trying to help out