Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Nov-2006, 21:27
Mille

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sie748
every time i ride mine i hear a different noise so ive now givin up tryin to decide where its comin from(probaly why i lost me stand last year).

I think your stand just wanted to live on a red one!
Old 27-Nov-2006, 16:41
Mille

Hi all, heads were removed from the engine and the guys at Ducati found signs that a metal ring/washer something was inside the horizontal cylinder and was beaten between the cylinder head and the piston. The problem is nothing was found inside so they assumed that whatever it was it was thrown outside on the exhaust...

Piston rings are all fine, so what entered the cylinder definatelly came from the admission...

They checked underneath the tank/fuel pump/throttle bodies and everything is in place..

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited by CipiVTS : 27-Nov-2006 at 16:44.
Old 27-Nov-2006, 17:22

Sorry, If I'm picked up any of this wrongly :
this problem only started or was noticed after the bike had been in for work to be done, viz on the throttle bodies/linkage ?
After which you found some evidence of lack of attention to detail - missing seal ? Yes/no ?
Then a foreign body is found in cylinder, - well, call me old fashioned etc, and whilst one wouldn't want to speak on the specifics of this case, one could make a pretty powerful case for the theory that something plopped in to induction when throttle bodies were exposed (airbox removed), - you are very lucky that this apparently did not cause damage - you might want, out of interest, to get compression checks done (if not already) on each cylinder.

Where did the foreign body come from !! It cant get in past filters in normal operation, and it didn't drop off anything inside airbox.....

Very curious, but I guess kind of re-assuring that they found something.
Old 01-Dec-2006, 00:36
Mille

Hi, indeed i cannot confirm or know for sure when this started... but anyway i can tell that i heard the bike one morning doing a strange louder than usual noise, i took it to service where they removed the airbox and cleaned the throttle linkage + checked the top expansion tank.

I took the bike the next day and i noticed a strange distinct metalic sound while revving it around 5000-6000 rpm. This happened only while riding, it was very clear cause it could only be heard only on acceleration,ever on constant throttle or decceleration.

The same evening i had a problem with the throttle linkage, cable, something sticking open, bike revving on it's own so i took it back to service the next day.

They started it the next morning and they noticed a very loud metallic noise at idle, stopped it immediately, started it again, same thing, stop again and the 3rd time it didn't do it anymore.

I arrive at the service the same day and of course nothing could be heard anymore.

Finally decided to start removing the side covers and then the heads/cylinders for further inspection.

the result was the following (sorry for the bad quality photos, did em with my mobile)

Valves are ok, piston rings are ok / cylinder is ok; no sign of the object in the engine/exhaust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image026.jpg (28.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Image027.jpg (30.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Image028.jpg (30.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Image029.jpg (110.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Image030.jpg (88.5 KB, 12 views)