Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Aug-2005, 23:44
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

Gary

As a motorcycle sales manager and an SPS owner maybe I can help.

The first thing is that I know pro twins both professionally and personally, and if they have serviced the bike before selling it to the last owner it will be one of the best ducati services available. their techs are secondond to none.

Don't worry that the log book doesn't have an engine number. All it means is that the person who imported it didn't bother to fill in that part of the form when they registerd it in the uk, as it isn't legally required. If the owner wont give you the vin number don't think bad of it, the has every right to be as suspicious of you as you are of him, baring in mind that with the reg and VIN number you could ring a stolen bike to look like his. I recommend that you HPI check the bike, this will give import dates and number of owners and the VIN/engine numbers. I once had an import cbr900rry that had brown on the log book (it was red) and only the last six digits of the vin.

The 2000 sps is a great bike ( the best of the series in my opinion) but buy with your eyes open. Check that there is no damage in places that would be hard to fix such as engine cases and frame lock stops. Ask to remove the body work and have a good look under the panels, it doesn't take long with the Duzus fastners. Don't worry if it has been used on the track, most have and it was after all what it was designed for, I've taken mine on the track and it is a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. Just make sure it didn't end up in the gravel trap ( easy to see because it looks like it has been shot blast) and use the price of new tyres to beat him down on price.

At the end of the day buying used bikes is a gamble in as much as you can not know its full past, most bikes have been dropped at some point to a greater or lesser extent (including mine), only buying new will prevent this. Just make sure YOU are happy with what you are buying or walk away as there are plenty others. I would wait a week phone him back and if he still has it make a silly offer on the ground of :import, needs two tyres, needs belt service after sitting around, you have cash and will make a quick sale so he can pay his bill. You are in control as the customer.

Hope this helps
Old 28-Aug-2005, 00:19
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
Thanks bryan.

By the time i have bought an alarm, service, mot and tax, i could have probably bought a uk bike with all of the bits that should come with an sps, which this bike has not got.

Even then, it would still have km clocks and i have no idea how much they would cost to replace with mph ones.

It is still in the back of my mind as it looked so good and yes i did have the panels off and the engine was as clean as a whistle.

As you suggest, i may call him in a week and see if he still has it, if not, i won't lose any sleep over it.

With a bike like this, i would rather play it safe.

I still have my 996 bip to sell, anyway.

Thanks for all of your views and advice on this.

Gaz
Old 29-Aug-2005, 00:20
500SD

Mood: head down
in the german V5 the engine number isnt recorded
where was it PDIed and first serviced?? wasnt "The Superbike Centre" in Gütersloh by Chance!!!
Old 29-Aug-2005, 01:06
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
No, it was Pro twins!

After much thought, i have decided to give this one a miss as there are too many questions and not enough good answers.

When i have had to 996bp serviced i will put it up for sale and then start looking for a proper uk bike with all the bits.

Thanks guys.