Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Aug-2005, 13:56
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
998 - Seeking Inspiration

My 998 is going to JHP for a service/cam belts in the Spring 2006.

Whilst it's in there, I'm hoping to spend an additional £500 - £700 on some performance tuning work.

However, I'm not sure what offers the best bang-per buck with the amount of money I've got available.

So, I'd be very grateful to receive your suggestions as to what work to have done.

The current status of the bike is as follows:

998Bip with -
DP upgrade S-R cams/996R ICU/45-50mm pipe
Slipper clutch
14 tooth front sprocket
Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

Over the winter I will install a PC111USB to run a base map for the bike with the DP upgrade kit. JHP will prepare custom maps to suit when it goes in for the service.

So, what do you guys reckon? Nitrous and a 'Busa fairing? Up the compression and run it on diesel?

BTW - already got l/w wheels and P34 brakes.

All suggestions greatfully received.

Regards,

Spinoli
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:24
Big Twin

Cam Timing
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:27
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Suspension !
998bp has Showas up front , re-valve with Ohlins or K -tech em , massive difference in confidance for me anyway

No point going faster if you cant keep the wheels on the ground

Then riding school with whats left over
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My 998 Hybrid has the following so far
DP upgrade 50mm-54mm pipe fitted on 50mm 998S modified downpipes
JHP Slipper clutch
14 tooth front sprocket
Brembo Radial master cylinder
P34 Callipers
Ohlins Forks
Ohlins 46PRXB shock
Mag Corse swingarm
Mag wheels
Spondon Discs
Harris rearsets
Alloy subframe
Carbon undertray
Renthal rear carrier & sprocket
SPS seat unit
FBF bars

I can highly recommend the Bremo master cylinder and the rearsets as a good next step for yours
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:37
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
Consider an FIM ECU rather than a power commander, the lastest generation are now out that work very well in the 998. adustable fuel map, ignition, cylinder offset..

AND (the advantage over the power commander).. Fully adjustable rev limit, you can switch off the side stand cut out and/or the immobilsor, and it is completely re-programmable, so you can put it on any ducati with that fitment. You can also adjust how the fueling changes when the motor is hot/cold so you can cure any tick over problems.

Sigma now import these and we have been playing with them on the dyno. getting some very good results.

cost £450+vat and the same dyno time as a power commander to set up.

see www.sigmaperformance.com for more info.

light flywheel is pretty good fun too, and wont cost much to get put on during a service.

[Edited on 26-8-2005 by wilf]
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:41
Big Twin

See if JHP has some 50mm headers kicking about or if you can get some cheapish if fleabay or something. A full 50mm system combined with the cams and PC will release a few horsies...

Combine that with a Brembo Radial Brake Master cylinder...

and finish off with getting your forks and shock revalved/serviced by either JHP or send it off to K-tec/maxton.

You should be able to do all that for £500...and pick up some rearsets or a new set of tyres with the dosh left over!
Old 27-Aug-2005, 12:22
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Many thanks for your input guys,

Just so you understand why I don't just ride to JHP/Sigma etc and talk with them, I live in Jersey. Trying to talk these things out on the phone never works.

to respond to your suggestions:

Suspension - I'm getting this done seperately by K-Tech. I have a cunning plan and a set of mint 999 Showa forks lying around. I spent 5 years riding and tracking a TL1000s, so I know what benefits can be gained.

Brakes - still getting used to the P34s, which are absholutely aweshome.

Wilf - FIM ECU - very tempting, but I run the bike on the road with baffles in and on the track with open pipes, and a PC111 will allow me to swap between maps easily. I'm hoping the new PC ignition module will allow adjustment of the rev-limiter.

Cam timing/Squish - strangely, when I suggested this to JHP, Ken told me that he didn't figure it offered good value for money. This is at odds with a trillion articles and comments that I have read and I will be asking JHP to clarify.

Harv - 50mm headers & crossover - I like this, but do you know how easy it is do get the front cylinder header modded to fit the high-sump Bip motor? In fact does anyone know of a 50mm or bigger full system that fits the Bip motor???

Riding School - Done many track days and received loads of good instruction, always room for more though. Been trying to book up with the European superbike school for one of their French track trips. I suppose you've heard the news - ho hum.

I had hoped that someone would say cam timing/squish/gas flowing would give 10% all round and cost £500. Oh well, I suppose I can dream on.

Does anyone out there have a streetable/reliable Testastretta dynoed at over 140rwhp (without silly money), and if so how?

This is the ultimate target, but it may take some time.

Spinoli

[Edited on 27-8-2005 by spinoli1]
Old 27-Aug-2005, 20:26
Mille

If you are coming from Jersey to JHP you should stop in to see Steve and Wilf at Motorapido in winchester.

They are highly thought of here, racers and fast bike builders. well worth a stop in if you are going past the door.

Friendly bunch too, always coffee on the go and an open workshop, so you can see what is going on.

Good luck.
Old 27-Aug-2005, 22:37
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Paint it Yellow.
Old 27-Aug-2005, 23:47
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
If it is any help, i had the standard side air filters, mesh and air tube restrictors removed and an itg filter installed when i bought my 996 bip.

Big improvement.

Air filter costs about £75.

'not sure if Alf did any tweaking to adjust, but he has been racing ducati for years and reckons this is the way to go.

The itg filter flows bags more air and i believe is re-useable too.

Open it up and it sounds like you're going to get sucked into the airbox!

Cheap and effective modification.

Get the bike set up, then get some road training, cos a trained rider on a 400 would run the wheels off the average bloke on his superbike.

I have done a few of the H*n*a MAC courses.

These are run by ex-police riders and are brilliant. Real riding techniques on real roadsand you don't have to ride a rice burner.

You have never seen a Pan-european go so fast!!

These boys are not stick-to-the-limits riders by any means, except in towns etc.

Not cheap, but the best never is.

Hope this helps.

Gaz