Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Aug-2005, 12:04
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Running without coolant?

Have just replaced coolant with plain water and wondering about over heating etc?

How much quicker will it overheat?

Any other implications?
Old 28-Aug-2005, 12:25
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
I assume we're talking about the water filled radiator here?

The only difference to my knowledge is that coolent contains antifreeze to prevent your radiator from freezing and thus splitting due to expansion over the winter months, and it is distilled water which prevents algae build up.

Shouldn't find any other differences in terms of cooling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Have just replaced coolant with plain water and wondering about over heating etc?

How much quicker will it overheat?

Any other implications?

[Edited on 28-8-2005 by 748IOM]
Old 28-Aug-2005, 12:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I reckon you'll be fine, should make no difference.
Old 28-Aug-2005, 12:58

Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM
The only difference to my knowledge is that coolent contains antifreeze to prevent your radiator from freezing and thus splitting due to expansion over the winter months, and it is distilled water which prevents algae build up.

Shouldn't find any other differences in terms of cooling.

Not true I'm afraid. Coolant does two things to water. It lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point. Thus at the freezing point of water, the coolant is still fluid, as it is at the boiling point of water and therefore with just water in the system, the temperature will rise significantly quicker.

With a 50-50 mixture of water and antifreeze, the coolant's boiling point can be raised to around 130°C

You wouldn't want to get caught in traffic on a hot day with just water in your rad...

Rich

[Edited on 28-8-2005 by Richd]
Old 28-Aug-2005, 13:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Agree with Rich. The cooling efficiency is improved by the anti freeze as is the anti corrosion properties.
I only use 50/50 anti feeze/distilled water in the cooling system. Best combination of all the properties available.
The corrsion problem can be a problem. There's a mechanical seal behind the pump impellor and as the corrsion builds, and it does at an alarming rate, it'll eat away at the seal. When it goes, the coolant goes straight into the engine...........
If you're thinkin of water only for track use, then use distilled water and flush the system regularly. I wouldn't bother at all for the road.
Old 28-Aug-2005, 13:10
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
Agree with Rich. The cooling efficiency is improved by the anti freeze as is the anti corrosion properties.
I only use 50/50 anti feeze/distilled water in the cooling system. Best combination of all the properties available.
The corrsion problem can be a problem. There's a mechanical seal behind the pump impellor and as the corrsion builds, and it does at an alarming rate, it'll eat away at the seal. When it goes, the coolant goes straight into the engine...........
If you're thinkin of water only for track use, then use distilled water and flush the system regularly. I wouldn't bother at all for the road.

what would you know ???

Old 28-Aug-2005, 13:47
Ducati Corse

I've seen engines that have been run on plain water where the corrosion has eaten its way right through the block and into the combustion chamber. Drain it after each race and leave it empty till the next time and it should be okay.

[Edited on 28-8-2005 by rockhopper]
Old 28-Aug-2005, 13:57
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Or .... race an air cooled bike
Old 28-Aug-2005, 22:03
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
its not a long term thing, will probably be back with coolant within a few weeks, just wondering if I wanted to take it for a test ride how it would be if i hit traffic.

Mind you, all that is now hypothetical as I stripped the clutch down today to repack it only to find the reason it was slipping was probably due to the spider spring being in two pieces and the nut somewhat loose as a result

More maintenance required tomorrow in form of replacement basket (I hope) and rebuild in the hope it is slightly better!
Old 28-Aug-2005, 22:11
Big Twin

It's your call Lily but I personally wouldn't risk it just for the sake of sticking the right measure of coolant in it.
I made same mistake a long time ago with a car engine and found it overheated and very quickly.