Old 12-Apr-2006, 07:18
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally posted by CipiVTS
@urban996: The linkage sticked like that at the wide open position? How did you fixed it, lubrication?

Just one thing: After stopping the bike the linkage returned to it's normal position? Before fixing it it looked like it was jammed?

I tell you why, mine seems to operate completely normal, both springs and linkage rod are in perfect condition and nothing seems to squeek or be at lista bit jammed...

Yes, the linkage itself was stuck, the throttle cable was fine (I bought a replacement but never needed to fit it). I spoke to Nelly, he suggested tweaking the white nylon adjustor nut on the linkaga near the rear cylinder, said sometimes it moves slightly and catches, and I also sprayed a ton of WD40 in thers at the springs etc and worked the throttle back and forward. In my it only stuck when it was more than half way open - either something was catching at full throttle opening, or the return springs/linkage were crudded up. Eventually it freed itself and hasn't been a problem since.
Good luck
Martin
Old 12-Apr-2006, 08:20
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
this is exactly the type of thing that would make me sell the bike that day... personally if a bike did that to me i'd have toreplace the whole throttle mechanism etc, or simply sell it.
Old 12-Apr-2006, 12:11
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
crash

dont like to upset u further after the crash but if the bike has been on its side, and revving its nads off, expect the main bearings to be shagged after a few more miles!
Old 12-Apr-2006, 13:02

Hi,surely as the mains are only splash fed ,they would survive a short run on the side.The bigends however being presure fed,wouldn't like being run on air,however as the oil pickup is on the righthand side,there's still a chance that there was enough oil covering the pickup to supply the oilpump.Still fingers crossed! Steve.
Old 12-Apr-2006, 19:48
Mille

The same thing happened to me when riding back from picking up my brand new 748. I blipped the trottle to change down as I filtered through heavy traffic and it stayed open
Old 18-Apr-2006, 22:46
Mille

How long does it usually take for symptoms of damaged bearings appear?
Old 18-Apr-2006, 22:56
DaveB916

Had a partial throttle stuck crossing to Germany last year, the inner plastic of the throttle cable, the plastic sort of shroud, had a broken piece of about 1 cm and this slid around the cam on full throttle, effectively putting strain on the cable as if throttle partially open.

Was not until I closed the throttle that I noticed a perfect 85 mph on level road cruise control, soon hit the rev limiter if you pulled clutch in...lol

Took a few mins to find and sort at side of Autobahn !!

Reminds me ........Nelly new throttle cable !!

Old 18-Apr-2006, 23:02
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Cipi

If it makes you feel any better it's not just a ducati that can do this to you.

A few years ago I was offered a go on a triumph 955 which I declined as I only had tpf&t and the bike was nearly new. Several miles down the road the owner and bike stopped at a T junction. As he accelerated away the throttle stuck open and he went straight on into a stone wall and wrote the bike off.

Lucky escape for me? You bet
Old 19-Apr-2006, 11:18
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
main bearings

It was about 1000 miles after my bike had been on its side the dreaded washing machine sound could be heard, and after strip down the left hand side main bearing was absolutely knackered, i believe Old Yella has had this happen also!
Old 20-Apr-2006, 18:31
Mille

Hope this won't happend. I changed the oil since then and did only 100km. Are there any signs of damaged bearings in the oil.? Mine looked normal (had 3000 km)

thanks