Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Feb-2004, 12:46
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
was thinking about slipper cltch for the sps...don't think I'll bother now!
good luck
Old 29-Feb-2004, 13:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Bryan, if the punch/mark on the pressure plate is not aligned with the mark on the clutch center hub, this could be the source of your problem. Sometimes overlooked, but very important.
Old 04-Mar-2004, 20:44
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

Cleaned bike on tuesday and removed all dished plates replaceing them with normal steel plates of the same thickness.

Problem solved.

I have haven't gone for a long ride yet but it insantly feels better.

Here endith lesson.

thanks for everyones help.
Old 14-Mar-2004, 11:37

Have been having the same problem with mine since the day I bought it (black STM). The bike either needs alot of revs which make a terrible noise and vibration, if this is not done the bike stalls. The thing is it’s never consistent how much and how quickly I release the clutch. I have now not the ridden the bike for about 4 months because it’s so bad. Have had 2 new sets of plates (free by Mike at Tecmoto). But the problem is still there. Am currently looking to buy an original slipper clutch from a 748r to put back in. As I would like to use the thing. No one seems to know what the problem is. I have heard of many people with the same clutch having the same problem just to varying degrees. My brother bought one at the same time same sort of problem just slightly better and more rideable, never fixed it so sold the bike and bought an R1
What order etc did you put the plates back and is it now ok?
Thanks Simon
Old 14-Mar-2004, 12:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
What you all seem to have forgot and is not related to Brian's problem, is that with a slipper you always start with a friction plate first. If you start with a pressure plate, this can easily move behind the central hub when the hub moves forward under enging braking.
The result will be that you have no clutch at all now, as no pressure will be placed on the clutch pack.
A friction plate can not move behind the hub due to the fact that the tangs on the outside edge, holds it in place.

Pacegod is yours an STM evo or conventional slipper. I had a stm once which slipped a lot. I found that the new plates that came with the clutch where quite rough. This marked up the pressure plates quite bad. I replaced most of them with ones I had kicking around and ths solved the problem.

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by Jon]
Old 16-Mar-2004, 22:04
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

In answer to Pacegod, i left the original plate order the same however removed the two 1.5mm dished plates (the ones with a dot punched into them)for 1.5mm plain plates from an old set. And yes there is a friction plate first to prevent the thing locking up.

this has (for mine anyway) completely removed the problem of judder when pulling away.

any problems phone me at chiswick honda on 02089968100.