Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Apr-2004, 23:19
500SD

biposto sub-frame and seat unit fit a mono?

just wondering has anyone fitted a biposto sub-frame and seat unit to a monoposto model 749/999??
Can you then switch seat units (mono/bip) leaving bip sub-frame in situ?

i know it could be done on the 748/998 but am interested to know if any has done this!

cheers

chillo
Old 05-Apr-2004, 00:58

Mood: under pressure - constant state
BP subframe and mono seat unit

The subframes for the mono and BP will both fit the frame no problem. The mono subframe is alloy and not designed for 2 up riding, plus there are no rear footpeg mounting points.

The seat units are held down in different ways. The rear of the mono seat locates with a pin and rubber bush arrangement which allows the seat and tank unit to slide backwards and forwards. But, the plastic part of the BP unit bolts in place and the rear seat pad is held in place by a key operated latch.

I have a mono that I convert to BP for the odd occassion that I take the wife out on the bike. I use a steel BP subframe and seat unit that takes around 45 mins to swap over.

I do know that you can fit the BP set up and then replace the rear seat pad with a fibreglass cowel. Personally I'd rather spend 45 mins and get the true mono look.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 10:01
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The alloy monoposto frame is quite a bit shorter than on the steel bip.No way will the mono seat fit on the bip frame.
As Spyke says,the easiest option is a cover for the bip seat,otherwise its subframe swap time!