Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Aug-2005, 03:59
Mille

S4 / S4R custom radiator update - prices and pics

Here is the result of my research into a smaller custom radiator for the S4/S4R. I sent some photos and suggested dimensions to Pace Products. The replay is attached at the bottom.

With the prices they quoted, I then looked at other suppliers but it seems that the labour alone in creating a radiator is 10-15 hours so it is not as simple a job as I thought.

Undeterred, I got some more accurate measurements and found that I had over specified the rad to Pace and came up with these images and dimensions for a new rad:

Same height - 200mm
Thicker core depth - increase from 25mm to 32mm
Smaller core width - decrease from 360mm to 280mm

This design would visually make the rad much smaller yet will lose less than 5% of its volume. The design has been kept as simple as possible (no tapers etc) and will reuse the existing fans (although thinner fans are available if needed). All that will be needed then will be a slight trimming of the existing hoses.

I also think that the prices will come down (hopefully) as they were quoting on joining two cores together (based on my original measurements) but now find that a standard 2 row 32mm core will be ideal. As they have never done an S4/S4R rad before, they are interested in subsidising the development work so I guess the more definite the design and quantities are, the more interested they will be. What would be helpful from those who expressed an interest is how cheap this needs to be for people to show serious interest. From my point of view, I think that getting them for £400-£450 inc vat would be doing well but obviously would like them closer to £300 but feel this is unlikely but you never know.

At the end of the day, what this means is that the width of the rad will be decreased by slightly more than the width of the header tanks on either side. Perhaps not a huge amount and wonder if it really worth it? Take a look at the pics and let me know.

I'll most probably do some more drawings based on feedback etc and see if I can get a more accurate price.

Best regards all

simon

Pace Products reply"A thin radiator with a large surface area will be more efficient than a thicker core with a smaller surface area. based on these sizes.

The other problem in which we will have is that we are not able to curve a core of 40mm. The deepest possible is 32mm (2 row) which will make very little difference to the 30mm in which you have at present.

I have spoken to my technical guys here, and we think that the standard units is very good.
We could possibly produce either 2 seperate single row 18mm cores and join them together in one radiator or a 2 row and a single row. The only issue with this option is that it becomes very expensive. I would estimate between £450-00 to £500-00 + vat.......
This is based only supply of product only. If we need to have the bike in, then this time would be chargeable."

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by marchesini]
Old 07-Aug-2005, 04:08
Mille

Another comparison pic

Another pic showing the visible difference of 80mm width reduction.
Old 07-Aug-2005, 04:16
Mille

And another one..

Old 07-Aug-2005, 10:35
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Looks good simon, very good photo shopping to with the pics

Be interesting to see the finished product, The rad has grown on me since I had mine maybe in the future be interested in one

Can I ask what u painted your rad with?

Many thanks

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by Lee1980]