Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Dec-2004, 00:19
Ducati Meccanica

888 SPS for sale.

Why is it, that when you want a certain bike , you can never find one.
And then as soon as you do find one, sort out a deal on it, another one comes out of the woodwork

There is another what appears to be an 888SPS for sale.
It's in italy, no surpise there.
Price, are you sitting down, £20,000 .

The preliminary deal I have done with a guy for his SPS is bad enough, but it was'nt this high

I know that a bike is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay, but is their a real world price for these models, or is it allways going to be an open cheque book situation.

any thought guys.

cheers
robin
Old 24-Dec-2004, 00:29
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
I was offered one in italy about 6 years ago for around £12000, so maybe you have a good deal. I reckon that barring a certificated race bike (or an Appollo ) this must be one of the rarest Dukes around. I have only ever seen that one genuine one so I guess most people would mistake it for an ordinary () SP. Can't imagine you would ever lose money on it though ypu lucky so-and-so
Old 24-Dec-2004, 00:44
Ducati Meccanica

I supose in real terms even £20k is not excessive for such a ltd run bike.
If you calculated how much a person may spend on biking, eg have 2 or 3 bikes, (916SPS &996R or 996SPS & S4R , 996 & 999s etc) you get my drift, on the go, plus running costs, you are probably very close to the same money as the SPS, but without the high residule value that the SPS retains.

swings and round abouts I think, but I know which route I would take.

cheers
robin
Old 24-Dec-2004, 00:47
Ducati Corse

I have been offered £12000 twice for my SP5,so an SPS has got to be worth £15-£20K,depending on the mileage etc,just in that they only made 100 as opposed to 500 SP4's and SP5's.
Old 24-Dec-2004, 00:54
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
My 996 sps cost £15000 5 years ago, now worth £6500????. If my Italian had been better it would have been a different SPS in the garage. I know most of us don't buy bikes as an investment, but that would be like having your cake and eating it. As I said, most people will not know exactly what it is, but who cares. If you see a guy tapping your tank with his knuckle (very very gently:D:D:D) its probably me. As an aside I was once offered Foggies Donington 888 for a very good price plus help to put it on the road, and missed that. Story of my life :(:(:(
Old 24-Dec-2004, 01:04
Ducati Meccanica

I think if I had not decided to follow the SPS route, I would have gone for an SP5 jasp, just a shame they cut corners on it and left the ohlins off the front, and did'nt stick a carbon tank etc on it aswell.

The other real sleeper is the SP2, a real flyer, from memory I think they have slightly more grunt than the SP3(a more refined bike) , but they are just not coming up for sale anymore, and the ones that do, are not that good.

I would like one of all of em, but in my dreams.

cheers
robin
Old 24-Dec-2004, 01:53
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I am curious what sort of effect mileage has on these bikes. Would a bike that have done 2500 miles every year be worth as much ?
Old 24-Dec-2004, 11:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Robin,

Are you going to look at both of them? Who put you in touch with these bikes? I can't decide if it's something I should even contemplate.

Rgds, Rob
Old 24-Dec-2004, 11:47
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I don't know much about the SPS but I've heard of the SP1-5s. How come it was so limited? Was it the final version before the 916?
Old 24-Dec-2004, 12:33
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
When did anyone last see an 851 Tricolore for sale ?