Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Feb-2004, 13:42
Big Twin

not sure about power...but I think they run of 240V...so either pit garage or generator. I'm sure some of the race guys here will be able to confirm this.

The diasec ones are the ones used by Weeksey at Brands. R1-Ian recommends them...looking at their wbsite they do seem suitable

So thats 5 potential peps interested...anyone else?
Old 04-Feb-2004, 14:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Keep in mind that you'll struggle to use tyre warmers if you're also using a rear hugger (most of them anyway). Second, Diasec make one especially for the 996 type bikes that have an extra heat guard on the outside. Otherwise, they will get burnt on the exhaust pipe when you're putting them back on after a track session.

Never tried to run them of a 12 inverter but I doubt it would have enough power. You'd probably have to have your car running to avoid draining the battery. Check with Diasec. Use a genny!
Old 04-Feb-2004, 14:08
Big Twin

I'm definitely interested in a set, if we can get 10 buyers I reckon we'll save a bit of cash!
Old 04-Feb-2004, 14:24
Big Twin

OK thats 6...if we get up around 10 I'll start making some calls...having said that...I'll still ask anyhow!!
Old 04-Feb-2004, 15:04
Mille

harv
as dibble noted i was looking at ally pally on sunday .. i wasn't really up to speed/properly researched so didn't buy any but i'm definately up for a suitable set ... up to £200 or so ... please add me to the list !
mw
Old 04-Feb-2004, 15:28
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
It's all in the mind guys. You'd be surprised at what you can do on a set of cold tyres
Old 04-Feb-2004, 15:34
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by Desmondo
It's all in the mind guys. You'd be surprised at what you can do on a set of cold tyres

no i wouldnt. i've seen it. normally first lap first session. paddock hill.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 15:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
To right Desmondo, most practice sessions and trackdays and even in races when I'm on the back of the grid I tend not to use my tyre warmers unless I'm using slicks. Stops me doing stupid moves on the first lap, I always try and treat the first lap out as a siteing lap, which if its a race it actually is. Alllows you to look for spillages etc before coming across them at race pace. Doesn't take much to warm up grooved tyres, at Mallory in december it takes me about 1 1/2 laps on D207GPs, so about 1.5 miles, Cadwell in the summer should be 1/2 a lap at most.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 16:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
One of WJB's mates was using warmers run from a genny at Donnington last year, and the genny was only just providing enough power to take the chill off the tyres - certainly nowhere near the temperature you get the tyres up to after a few laps (as measured by the Jools forefinger).

Before y'all go in for warmers and renting/buying gennys, you might want to check the warmers power consumption
Old 04-Feb-2004, 16:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
jim, skidlids,

i think you are right about it being a confidence thing. but if tyre warmers will help me get that confidence a lap earlier it has got to be a good thing. if you have it from the word go that is great but i know i dont have.

example:
brands last year i went out and forgot to do my helmet strap up (muppet!), so took it easyish came into pits did it up and went out straight away. most people were only 1 lap up on me but i was being blown away left right and center because i didnt have the confidence to up my speed. it spoilt the whole session. normally i can hold my own (so to speak) from the off.