Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jul-2005, 16:41
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by remfanuk
just as a slight diversion...i notice a number of replies regards their ss's wheelying....mine gives no indication it has any propensity for wheelying. i am neither trying or a wheely god, but when i hammered my fireblade in first i knew it wanted to come up whereas the 900ss gives no indication that it will raise its head. so i was wondering how people are getting their bikes to engage in some naughtiness?

Easy peasy, 4000 rpm in first, roll it off, roll it back on, and hey ho up she rises, find the balance point and just keep changing up-not that I would do anything so antisocial you understand officer.

John
Old 14-Jul-2005, 21:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by remfanuk
just as a slight diversion...i notice a number of replies regards their ss's wheelying....mine gives no indication it has any propensity for wheelying. i am neither trying or a wheely god, but when i hammered my fireblade in first i knew it wanted to come up whereas the 900ss gives no indication that it will raise its head. so i was wondering how people are getting their bikes to engage in some naughtiness?

I've never been too good at getting the front up and keeping it up on the 900 (but no worries on my old 916), but my brother's old 900 spent its entire life on the back wheel. I guess it just depends on how brutal you fell like being with the clutch. I can definitely confirm that flatslides improve the situation significantly
Old 14-Jul-2005, 23:18
Mille

will have to give it a shot and be mindful not to give it too much of a handful as i am still getting used to it. nice to hear you say take it 4000rpm....the blade was feeling like lifting its nose when you got to 8000rpm plus and at those revs it didnt matter what gear you were in, you were gonna be doing silly speeds...hence the selling of the mad blade.
Old 15-Jul-2005, 00:44
Montjuic

Thanks for all the feedback. I have four bikes at the moment. Ones in MCN next week if it sells I'll have the money for 92 model 900ss up at a grand. I just didn't want a repeat of the past. When I was 18 I bought an old RG250 Gamma and gradually tidied it up. Magazines were filled with scare storied of siezures and thrown cranks if ridden flat out. As I was poor in those day (1990's) I didn't ever ride it over the ton and was anal with servicing and warming it up. Then about 3 years later (when it was my 2nd bike) I let a mate on it who wheelied it, and absolutly caned the tits off it. Taken in by the mood I later found myself racing him flat out at 110mph. This was the second time ever I had ridden it flat out and it had only done 7000 miles after a full top-end rebuild with genuine parts and new barrels. You guessed it the crank let go, locked the back wheel (lukily on a straight) and I was towed home. I practicley gave the bike away I was so ****ed off. It's just nice to know how much stick something can take.