Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Sep-2003, 19:49
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
900ss spocket changes....

Ive just changed my 2000 900ss (original 15/40) to a 14 at front.
Undecided yet as still burning in new bridgy 010's. will wait and see as ive a tracky day at mallory 11th sept.
any tips for (cheap) styling and personalisation greatfully accepted.
As its a 1/2 faired, a belly pan would look great. any ideas where from.
14 sprckt from JHPerformance, aka Ducati Coventry. Sprckts in stock. Dave in spares is a mate and pretty helpful. He had a 99ss till he visited Twycross Zoo via the hedge on the RH er just before the entrance.
Old 06-Sep-2003, 00:09
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Welcome to the mad house Paul!

Just had a quick look at Powerbronze's web site - they list a belly pan for my fully faired bike - but not for yours

http://www.powerbronze.co.uk

erm....cosmetics all obviously down to taste...Hi rise / double bubble screen, cooler cover and/or belly pan all sound ok

For a track day I think you should seriously consider some crash bungs or sliders as they are sometimes called to at least offer some bike protection in the event of a crash.

Powerbronze and R&G products sell them - amongst many others

http://www.rg-racing.com/ducatibikes.html

fitting on a half fairing would be even easier I imagine.

Best Wishes - Frank
Old 06-Sep-2003, 09:38
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Welcome Paul!

I have heard, although can't confirm, that with a minimum of jiggery pokery a Monster bellypan can be fitted to the half faired ssie. This was from a guy who was selling his 900ssie on eBay and had a bellypan fitted. But he was a bit vague.

If you do figure out how and what to do, let me know because I am keen also! I believe Spares Shack does Monster bellypans -

http://www.spareshack.com/

The only custom bits I've done to my bike is put a set of SILs 50mm slip on exhausts. Can't say it made a huge performance difference, but certainly made a massive sound difference. Speak to Neil at Cornerspeed if you're interested, he did a good job for me -

http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk/

Other bits I'd like to do include:

K&N Air Filter
Rear Sprocket
Corbin Seat

Once I've found the money for those I'll see where else I'd like to over capitalise. :-)

Cheers
Phill

[Edited on 6-9-2003 by phillc]
Old 11-Sep-2003, 20:14
500SD

Mallory was ore (awe) some. the 14 t front made pulling out of the twisties much better and the 010's give plenty of warnig when letting go. Just a slight spin up outa the hairpin this morn when wet didnt even get the a*se twitching, and coming outa Edwina's ( who ever called a chicane after a bird that "does the ex PM) the rear span up and still held a great line.
Gotta recomment the 14 front sprkt for those with 900ssie's..........
Keep the black stuff down.
ps with some DP HH+ front pads, managed to outbrake a 999 and a 748 coming into the hairpin, shoulda seen their faces at the end of THAT session.
rgds
paul aka Mort.
Old 13-Sep-2003, 22:06
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Yes certainly makes all the difference.

I now have 14t front and 40t rear with shorter 96 chain on my '98 900ss.

Been to Donnington today and was initially revving out everywhere, but when got used to it, needed better tyres fitting and was pulling well though the corners. Never actually got to max speed but pulling around 135mph down Dunlop straight with more to go.

The bike is so driveable on the road too, driving out of corners, when normally chugging and hesitating.

Try it, cheapest speed enhancement yet.

Andy
Old 17-Sep-2003, 19:26
500SD

Andy, Phillc, and all of you
thanks for the info. Glad the Donny track day went well, ....135 down dunlop straight??? with a 14 front sprokket. maybe you got the rec counter and speedo mixed up........if you did it, then wots the secret, as i find if difficult to get 120 now on short stretches.
To all the others that have answered thanks. I got a pr of remus ducati oerformance cans, the free flow airfilter and the perf. ECU and does she sound great gulping in loadsa air from 4 1/2 right up to 8 1/2 thousand.
someone mentioned a single seat for the 900ss, well i aint paying the £353 (incl's vat) for a ducati one, any ideas for say 100 notes or stretch to 150??
just remember with the hi level cans, no rear footrests so other half stays at home when Matlock on sunday morn calls, bloody good thing those cans were.
Black stuff down, plastic lid up
rgds
paul aka Mort
Old 17-Sep-2003, 21:12
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Hi Paul,

My 900ss had many mods inc. Lighter flywheel, perf airbox, lots of engine shimming (increased compression?), magnesium wheels, rear-sets, fully floating sps brakes & disks, carbon everywhere....& nice front fairing 999 style!

Anyway she pulls well and in fact went off the speedo with the 15t on chasing a zx9.

Are you revving fully? I pull to 9-9.5k before changing on the track, especially out of coppice in 4th.

I normally run scorpion carbon cans with the race ecu, but couldn't on this day due to low-noise regs.

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by andys 900ss]
Old 17-Sep-2003, 23:34
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Nice one! Its good to know that people still put a lot of time and effort into the 'older' Ducati's.

I did wonder myself about hitting the red-line in top gear and the erm.... (cough) the opportunity presented itself today...

My old girl ran right up to 9 grand without any problems, showing an indicated 145 (ish) on the clock.

Mind you - I guess the extra cubes have helped

Regards - Frank
Old 19-Sep-2003, 20:48
Mille

Got me a 14t sprocket

After a bit of fishing about I got a 14t Renthal sprocket mail order from HPS (Harwood Performance Source)
Price £21.62
p&p £4.52
VAT £4.52
Total £30.40
Contact email address graham.beardsmore@bikeHPS.com

Unfortunatly I havent had time to fit it yet so I can't coment
Old 19-Oct-2003, 13:12
500SD

Guys
Thanks for all the tips
Ive already posted this on a coupla other queries on the board but go look at
www.diopa.com
its all in german but easy enuff to translate
nearly all carbon fibre stuff, single seats, fairings neat front light arrangement twin 45mm side by side arrangement
will prob order the bellypan and twin light stuff.
anyone know a really good paint shop as will probably want a new colour scheme this winter.
live leicestershire area so e mids or brum ideal
pricing looks v good as well
br
paul