Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2006, 00:05
Mille

Throttle blocked at full throttle - CRASH

Hi all,

2 weeks ago i suffered a crash with my 1995 916 biposto... while accelerating from a stand still to 1st, 2nd gear at maximum and then 3rd i noticed the bike was still accelerating although i returned the twist grip back to its normal position. I tried to unblock it, but finally i crashed on the right side, bike sliding for 50 meters while at full throttle till it finally stopped after 20 secs. The clutch was completely damaged, but the bike started at first key... throttle came to normal again....

since then i really don;t know what happend and why the throttle remained blocked at max. the first thing i thought was the cable being to loose. I replaced the cable and the twist grip assembley, but i'm still curious if this is really the problem. Checking on the net i found this:

Model: Ducati 916 Years: 1994-1995

Number Involved: 1,316
Dates of Manufacture: Not yet available
NHTSA Recall No.: 97V221
Vehicle Description: Motorcycles.
Description of Defect: The throttle control linkage pin was not lubricated properly.
Consequence of Defect: The engine throttle can bind and not return to proper idle.
Corrective Action: Dealers will lubricate the throttle control linkage pin using grease containing molybdenum disulphide.
Owner Notification: Owner notification schedule has not yet been provided.
Note: Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ducati at 1-973-839-2600.

Does anybody have any idea about this notification, is it real and what exactly does it reffer to?

Has anybody experienced this problem before?

Regards
Cipi
Old 03-Apr-2006, 00:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Flicking the kill switch may have helped???

Not much help now I agree.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 00:41
Mille

Know that, but i still hoped throttle will come back again

Anyway, what is the throttle control linkage pin?

And what could have caused the blockage, that's the main question i have now

regards,
Old 03-Apr-2006, 00:49
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
not a lot of help, but on a bike that old it could have been many different things, i would check through the entire throttle system, throttle, cables, throttle bodies and all linkages.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 01:54
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

If you've replaced the throttle cables and it now works as it should - I would say that is your answer.

That would have been my first guess. Even when cables seem OK, the throttle won't return, and just by fitting new ones, the throttle snaps shut.

If it works ok now, I would say you've cracked it.

Just check it and lube the cables regularly, and you know what to do if it happens again.

Old 03-Apr-2006, 08:15
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
I had the throttle stick open on my 996 (99 year) last year, with fortunately less severe consequences.
Mine was to do with the linkage between the front and rear cylinders, result was that when I shut the throttle, the cable returned ok but just hung slack and the throttles stayed wide open..
Cheers
Martin
Old 03-Apr-2006, 08:31
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

That would scare the 'kack' out of me and every time I rode the bike again untill I was 100% satisified the fault was understood and sorted!

I remembered posting a link for UK recalls - so I had a hunt about and there appears to have been a recall for this in the UK, link here:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...6BB9002691 B7

and the details:
================================================== ====
Vehicle Recall Details

Reference : RM/95/004
Manufacturer Ref :
Make: DUCATI
Model : 916 and 748
Launch Date : 03/08/1995
Numbers Involved : 228
Build Start Date :
Build End Date :

Details

Concern : THROTTLE MAY STICK IN OPEN POSITION

Description : The teflon bushing may slide out of the throttle cable housing and allow the throttle to stick in the open or partially open condition.

Remedial Action : Recall the affected machines and replace the original throttle cable with a quality assured example.
Vehicle Id : From 005054 (916)
From 001238 (748)

================================================== ====

Perhaps dropping a line to Ducati UK with your details might be worthwhile - to see if there has been any updates (if nothing else).

Good luck - Frank
Old 03-Apr-2006, 13:59
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
When you picked the bike up off of the floor, was the throttle still stuck open?
Old 03-Apr-2006, 20:47
Mille

The strange thing it's the bike ran on the right side at full throttel till it suddenly stopped (probably lack of gasoline?). I raised it up to vertical position and started and throttel cable returned to normal!!!!

I really don't understand... cable was indeed loose (by pressing the small button to hold it accelerated did absolutely nothing), but can the losse cable get tight somewhere in the twist grip location and produce this thing?
Old 11-Apr-2006, 21:20
Mille

@urban996: The linkage sticked like that at the wide open position? How did you fixed it, lubrication?

Just one thing: After stopping the bike the linkage returned to it's normal position? Before fixing it it looked like it was jammed?

I tell you why, mine seems to operate completely normal, both springs and linkage rod are in perfect condition and nothing seems to squeek or be at lista bit jammed...

@andyb: I stood for a while and really thought about the whole thing. Cable was really loose (details bellow). I accelerated into 2nd till max and while turning the throtlle at max i felt something like a click or i don't know in my right hand. then the throtle became blocked and stayed like that while the bike flipped on the right side, slipped for 50 meters, ran for a few seconds till it stopped. somebody helpped me put the bike up and on the sidestand and then i started it just as a test... and everything was back to normal...

Please give me any idea, i know i replaced the cable, but i'm still afraid as Iconic 944 said that it can be something else...

By the way, is there any difference between a 1995 916 and a 2000 748 both bipostos throttle / injector body assembly?(including all rods, injectors, TPS etc)

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by CipiVTS]