Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2004, 22:54
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Here is the original post I made with my Dyno graph.

There are some useful links in there put in by some of the other club guys....well worth checking out.

I'm still trying to find out original HP claims for our bikes but they do seem variable in the "real world".

You seem to have done some very sensible mods already, anything else sounds expensive eg - cutting different valves, fitting another cam / carbs / exhaust system.

Just enjoy it

Cheers- Frank
Old 13-Mar-2004, 22:54
WSB Hero

ooops forgot the link:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/co...d.php?tid=6226

Freaky - Friday - Frank
Old 14-Mar-2004, 00:09
WSB Hero

Just to make us both feel better, here is a nice thread from Fordie to make us feel better......

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/co...id=12&tid=2624

Frank
Old 14-Mar-2004, 10:22
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
I seem to recall that the length of the intake manifolds is the prime reason why the SS drops off so dramatically above around 7000 rpm. If you fit individual FCRs with shorter Malossi intakes I'm sure the power continues past it's current peak. There's a page here that goes into it a bit http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/carbs.htm

What do the SSie's rev to?

One thing that strikes me about Chi's bike isn't so much the 18 % gain but more the lousy performance before the work. From 4000 rpm onwards it's all over the place. My K&N'd but otherwise standard SL made 73hp last time it went on a dyno. It's difficult to compare bikes power outputs from different dynos but were we to equate Chi's first run with my standard bike then his second run would be in the mid 90s..... Does that make sense?
Old 15-Mar-2004, 00:52
WSB Hero

Yep.....Keenly observed as ever my friend, but I didnt what to bring anyone down by mentioning initial power outputs !!!

I've been told not to bother with carb changes or inlet mods as long as I'm running my big bore kit. EVen though I did fancy either some FCR's or nice Malossi's.

Having said all that, I really need to put my little scoot on a dyno to see if the work I've done has made any difference before I do any other engine work.

Handling is next on my to do list........

Cheers - Frank
Old 15-Mar-2004, 17:40
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
The thing about Chi's bike is someone spent an absolute fortune on it and then sold it.... Saying that now it's "done" it's got a lovely fat spread of torque and that's the stuff that puts a smile on your face on the road.

Chi: Did it run right when you got it (ie they got the engine sorted before they sold it) or did you get it done yourself?

Personally I'm not altogether convinced that twin plugs would make a difference power wise and unless the exhaust is a full system it's not gonna shred tarmac. That leaves the hi-compression pistons. I quite fancy fitting a set next winter but from doing some reading some "established" Ducati tuners don't reckon they up the power a massive amount.

That'd leave a big bore kit, which would be nice, or a set of Keihin FCR41s, which you can get from Chris Kelly for £460 plus shipping. If only I had a fullproof way of avoiding customs (and £460)....
Old 15-Mar-2004, 20:18
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
It was already running nicely when I got it - pulling right through the range - the only thing that took the smile off my face on the ride home was a very disconcerting scraping noise on the first three left-handers........then I put the side stand up.

I think the hi-comp pistons make it a lot harder to start first thing - lots of wheezing before it picks up.

Frank, I'm going to be up at Cornerspeed on Saturday if you want to see the bike - a lot close to you than East London!

cheers, Chi
Old 16-Mar-2004, 19:36
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Hey Chi

been following this thread recently
As you prob know, Ive got a SSie and it pulls well from 4 thru' to 7 1/2 or 8 thousand. Last year on track days would rev to 9,000 then splutter. Now Nelly's fitted the hi comp pistons, want to see what its done. He also put it on the exhaust gas analyser and remapped the chip by moving the powerband up the range a little.
What time saturday you at Nelly's,?? as Im his (in)voluntary helper.........I make the coffee when he's busy, which is most of the time.
If its NICE, I'll come on the bike, otherwise its 4 wheels for me
rgds
mort
Old 16-Mar-2004, 19:59
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Hi Mort. Be great to meet you. Have sent you U2U with details.
cheers, Chi
Old 16-Mar-2004, 21:36
WSB Hero

Damn, work commitments....shifts are a blessing and a curse occasionally.

Hope you guys have fun.

See you at Cadwell maybe ???

Frantic Frank