Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Apr-2004, 06:15
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
250 parts

Hi all

Anyone know where to get parts for a 1971 Mark 3 250.

I'm after front and rear sprockets most importantly, followed by those little toolbox side covers as featured on the stunning 125 Moto Giro being restored in the previous post.

If the price is right I'm also after a tank, seat, rear footpegs and rear tailight assembly as my bike currently has a BSA Bantam tank and unknown but believed to be Yamaha seat and taillights.

I've already been trying to get parts here in NZ but can't even get the sprockets.
Old 23-Apr-2004, 08:59

Try Phil from road and race in Australia. From my place (Holland) he is way too far to get parts from but from NZ its close.

I know Phil from the Bevelheads maillist and he is having loads of stuff and good advice.

http://www.roadandrace.com.au/index.htm

Cheers, Ron

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by Ron66]
Old 23-Apr-2004, 09:06

Eddie,

The ultimate online source for info and adresses is http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/

Cheers, Ron
Old 04-May-2004, 23:54
Mille

Thanks Ron, I've been in touch with Phil and he has most of what I need, The prices aren't too bad either.

He is away to Moto Giro as of 15th of this month till June 15 so I will put an order in and get things going after that.
Old 05-May-2004, 09:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddieb
Thanks Ron, I've been in touch with Phil and he has most of what I need, The prices aren't too bad either.

He is away to Moto Giro as of 15th of this month till June 15 so I will put an order in and get things going after that.

Phil in Italy, last time he left Italy with a container of goodies

Succes with the resto.

Cheers, Ron
Old 05-May-2004, 22:54
Mille

Thanks Ron. Phil did mention he was doing some buying there as well.

Heres a (Not very good) picture of the 250 as it currently is.
Old 07-May-2004, 15:06

Eddie,

When you know the adresses there is still some stuff to get, years of infiltration lead me to some interesting places :P

Hey seeing that picture it looks like a small case 250. Until now I thought your bike was a wide case (post 1968) but it isn't, year of registration puzzles me since most small cases are registered pre 1968. I've got 2 1968 small case 250-s one in parts and one in cafe racer style since its origional styling was so ugly I never considered to restore it into a Monza Jr.

A small case Mk 3 .......... look at www.bevelheaven.com for some origional flyer and photo material to see how it supposed to look.

Cheers, Ron
Old 10-May-2004, 00:23
Mille

That gets interesting then. I have the UK registration papers as thats where it was last registered. They state 1971 I believe (I will double check tonight)

As stated in previous posts it was originally a 350 and the motor has been replaced with a 250. It has an Amal carb but who knows which motor it came off so it is a bit of a bitsa.

It wouldn't surprise me if the motor is quite a bit different in age to the rest of the bike.
Old 10-May-2004, 09:35

Eddie,

If it is an origional 350 smallcase framed Ducati its a Sebring. Due to Vintage racing regulations many of those bikes ended up as race bikes so it can be worse then your Bitsa. The stroke of the 350 is different from the 250 (can count the fins on the cilinder but don't know it from the head). All smallcase engines 100 cc -350 cc are build pre-1968. Nevertheless it can be registered in 1971, widecase Singles hit the market in 1968 (some models featured the first Desmo production heads) and canabalised the smallcases in the showrooms.

As far as my knowledge goes Ducati never used Amals on Singles, the early 750 GT had Amals. To make things more complicated Mototrans Ducati's had Amals. Mototrans was based in Spain and manufactured in licence Ducati Singles that differed on details with its Italian brother bikes. I hardly can tell the differences......... :O

The Sebring roughly is honestly said not the most goodlooking Single; http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/Ducat...s/ducbroP4.htm
My 250 Monza Junior looked exactly the same but when I build it up 19 yrs ago (I was 17 then) I decided to build a cafe racer and sold all the origional parts. A good friend of my recently had a Origional Sebring for Sale and sold it to a guy who will build a racer from it . If you are interested I can inform if the tank, seat, mudguards, etc. are for sale (located in Holland). If you are interested, currently its more valeud to restore it into origional condition but ....................... well that something personal.

Cheers, Ron

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by Ron66]
Old 16-May-2004, 12:39
Mille

Thanks for the brochure Ron, you are right, to me they are not the prettiest model.

I'm fairly certain mine is not a Sebring. Except for the tank, seat, and taillight I have all the same parts as your 175 as far as I can tell from your photos. My handlebars, headlight etc are all the same and the frame is identical to yours. The 250 motor is stamped on the crankcase as a 250 so it hasn't just had the cylinder changed.

A local dealer has a 1967 250 they are trying to sell. It's quite rough but very genuine and has all the same parts as my bike so I don't think the spare parts in Holland would be right for my bike.