Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-May-2004, 18:07
Bikes: 1998 ST2

Mood: Got the bike ready for my first visit to the TT and it then got cancelled!
1997 ST2 regulator/rectifier

Rumour has it that the regulator/rectifier was replaced under warranty on 1997/98 models. Can anyone advise me how to tell whether it has been done on my bike e.g. colour/shape etc?

The reason I ask is that I am on my second new battery in four years. The most recent one looked like it had boiled dry!

Old 26-May-2004, 20:43
Mille

I believe you can check on the DUK site for recalls. or email your frame number to their customer service helpdesk and ask them.

SAJ
Old 27-May-2004, 14:00
Bikes: 1998 ST2

Mood: Got the bike ready for my first visit to the TT and it then got cancelled!
Thanks saj, i'll give them a try.
Old 27-May-2004, 15:03
Mille

I have a 97 ST2 as well and as far as I am aware it is not considered a recall item. I have had two rectifiers replaced (and two batteries), all out of warranty period, and have not been able to get anything out of Ducati. If you look around there are multiple threads and websites which deal with this issue and put forward suggestions regarding replacement rectifiers and other permanent mods (eg relocating the rectifier to somewhere it gets more cooling). All I have done is buy an aftermarket rectifier which is basically the same as the OEM, just a bit cheaper, use a battery optimiser (as the real problem seems to be the rectifier will cook if the battery is low so the system has to spend the first while charging as well as running the bike), and have a headlight gizmo (as my headlight is hardwired on) that keeps the headlight off until you put the bike in gear.
Old 27-May-2004, 20:23
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
Mine is a 97 too and started playing up last week, so itīs going in to be FIXED i.e. changing the alternator and regulator/rectifier for 3 phase jobbies. the two phase puts all the current through two leads and the connections are prone to frying especially if you ride with headlight on all the time (which is the law here) one little dodge is to get some 12v 21 or 23watt miniature indicator bulbs and pop one in your side light holder, it gives a bright light for day running but saves the electrical system working so hard ( it works on my 750ss but i havent found any capless types for the ST) hence the upgrade to proper electrics