Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Aug-2005, 10:14
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Didn't someone mention a "fix" for this somewhere? I don't think they mentioned what it was though. Titanium bolt or a guard of some sort???

Changing the rear spring seems a bit extreme, especially if you're a 12 stone rider on a Monoposto. I would have thought that was smack bang in the middle of "average", not heavy!
Old 01-Aug-2005, 10:42
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
The 05 bikes have a heavier rear spring, think it's 7Kg now over 6.5Kg on previous years.

Never happened on my 04 R, but saying that I have a 7.5Kg rear spring and the ride height has been adjusted (raised) by JHP.

As I only run my in track day bodywork (don't want to be damaging the carbon stuff) the bellypan is completely sealed, and the sump isn't exposed, there's no marks etc on the belly pan, so can only summise from that that I'm OK???
Old 01-Aug-2005, 10:42
Big Twin

Sorry to hear about your accident RM.

Obviously, I do not know you, how you ride, your bike or how its set-up etc...but my 2p's worth...

Didn't we hear about a few people mentioning this some time ago?

This seems a bit odd to me. Everyone is right about springs/ride height etc that could obviously lead to the bike squatting excessively in a dip at speed or such like, but surely it should not be possible to ground the sump out like this?

Thats not a set-up problem in my eyes, that a DESIGN problem...

In this instance, unlike twinfans trials and tribulations with his brakes, where he/DUK where trying to work out exactly what happened as it was unclear, this case appears to be very clear. The sump has hit the deck.

If I were you I would be collecting as much evidence as possible such as taking photos of the location where it happened, making notes on your current suspension settings (springs/ride height/sag (with and without rider) etc), even trivial things like tyre pressures. Because you can rest assured that if they can, DUK will not accept responsibility, becase if they do, then they have a serious safety issue on their hands!

The harsh reality is that things could have ended A LOT worse...and I for one really believe in pushing large companies to get to the bottom of problems like this and if at fault, admit it!

...then again..the chances of that happening..oh look a flying
Old 01-Aug-2005, 10:45
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Sorry to hear about your accident RM.

Obviously, I do not know you, how you ride, your bike or how its set-up etc...but my 2p's worth...

Didn't we hear about a few people mentioning this some time ago?

This seems a bit odd to me. Everyone is right about springs/ride height etc that could obviously lead to the bike squatting excessively in a dip at speed or such like, but surely it should not be possible to ground the sump out like this?

Thats not a set-up problem in my eyes, that a DESIGN problem...

In this instance, unlike twinfans trials and tribulations with his brakes, where he/DUK where trying to work out exactly what happened as it was unclear, this case appears to be very clear. The sump has hit the deck.

If I were you I would be collecting as much evidence as possible such as taking photos of the location where it happened, making notes on your current suspension settings (springs/ride height/sag (with and without rider) etc), even trivial things like tyre pressures. Because you can rest assured that if they can, DUK will not accept responsibility, becase if they do, then they have a serious safety issue on their hands!

The harsh reality is that things could have ended A LOT worse...and I for one really believe in pushing large companies to get to the bottom of problems like this and if at fault, admit it!

...then again..the chances of that happening..oh look a flying

I agree here, you could of been killed plain and simple, you were lucky, the next guy might not be!

If this is a known issue Ducati will be playing the numbers game I guess, pay for one off's or do a recall for all bikes, whichever is the cheapest solution as ever.

Good luck, and get well soon
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:10
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
JPM have you ever bottomed your sump out, I havnt.

I think the personalising of the suspension is key here. To say Ducati have got it wrong, well it is a well known fact the rear 64 spring is too light for the majority.

Although that is the same as a 998 mono rear, the bikes weigh a similar weight, and a similar group of the public ride/own them.

I dont know of any 996r-998r deep sump models to have bottomed out??
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:19
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
JPM have you ever bottomed your sump out, I havnt.

I think the personalising of the suspension is key here. To say Ducati have got it wrong, well it is a well known fact the rear 64 spring is too light for the majority.

Although that is the same as a 998 mono rear, the bikes weigh a similar weight, and a similar group of the public ride/own them.

I dont know of any 996r-998r deep sump models to have bottomed out??

Never done it on mine no, but my suspension isn't standard, different springs front and rear and ride height adjusted etc to match.

If it was going ground out it would of done it at the bottom of paddock hill I guess a few weeks ago, but no sign whatsoever
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:22
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I guess the thing here is that a standard bike, on factory settings, with an average weight rider shouldn't bottom out.

Can't see why some do and some don't thugh, unless "Real McCoy" is a particularly hard rider?
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:25
BSB Star

Yes i totally agree. Ive got the enclosed belly pan on mine, If i dont get the angle of a ramp correct when loading in a van it touches then. My mates gsxr, same situation, no where near.
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:26
Big Twin

I've just re-read this thread and you say RM that your sump sits 1 inch BELOW the fairing. Is that correct?

Andy, you say that you ave never touched down your fairing let alone your sump...therefore are suggesting that your sump sits within the fairing...ie not the same. Is yours a deep sump model Andy?

So why did Ducati introduce this new low sump, wasn't it beacuse of another problem (oil starvation due to wheelies or summut!?!?)...is it a case of...lets redesign the sump, but not look at the bigger picture, such as fitting a stiffer spring or allowing for non-billiard table like roads???
Old 01-Aug-2005, 11:32
BSB Star

Oh yes, deep sump model, but of course. track fairings enclose the sump. With the std fairings, the sump plug does hang down proud of the bottom edge.

Obviously lots of changes to the geometry on mine. As i said when i rode the 05 999 at Silverstone(yes i know billiard table........ish) It really did feel strange, lower and the bike sits flat. Although it was a bp so harder spring.