Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:22

Refitting 999R Fairings

Ok, this might sound dumb, but any tips out there from 999R owners for refitting the 999r fairings after you've removed them? My problem is that try as I might, I CANNOT refit the fairing so that the sidestand doesn't foul it. Of course it has to fit so that the sidestand works because that's how it arrived from the dealers, but I just can't get the damn thing to fit without the sidestand being a problem.

Any advice? I really don't want to have to take it back to the dealers just to have them refit my bodywork! Doh!

RR
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:35
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Hi mate, My stand was catching the fairing from day one. I had to grind away a small amount of my fairing in the sidestand aperture to get it to fit.
You can do this quite easily as you will see where it has marked it, and it doesnt affect the paint job.
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:36
BSB Star

What do you expect for £20000.....
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:45
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
My stand was catching the fairing from day one. I had to grind away a small amount of my fairing in the sidestand aperture to get it to fit.

how didnt you notice this? i thought you only need to put the side stand up if you ride it ????

saw a set of 999r panels on ebay not including the seat unit, minimum bid 1500, buy now for 2k. seems a bit toppy but i may put in a lower bid if they dont go.

handy for trackdays
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:53

Andyb --

You're kidding right..!? Grinding the fairing on a £20k new bike??? That's a warranty issue, surely if it's fouling the bodywork from new?

My own feeling is that the problem stems from too much flex in the cf fairing and also that the mounting clips for the quick fasteners aren't securely mounted to the frame and move around too much.

I've tried to refit the thing three times now and each time the sidestand catches the inside of the fairing recess when you put it up or down. And no, you can't see any damage to the bodywork, but it makes a lovely grinding sound. Eekk!

RR
Old 18-Jun-2004, 12:10
BSB Star

Yep, mine made the same sound.... You will see on the inside top the mark, that the top of the side stand makes eventually. Were only talking a few mill.. i didnt think i could be arsed to go and then try to explain to the dealer the problem.... worked for me.

Go on have the panel off and put a small grind stone in the drill, you wont even notice its been done except when theres no noise from the stand!!

Oh Dickie, just buy the bike not the look alike bits......... youll be wanting a proper 999 engine next when the CSS tell you youve run out of power to go with your ground clearance!! ink: