Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 06-May-2005, 21:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
To Day at Silverstone Practice

Saw lots of Lovely Dukes up at Silverstone today, strangely I can't say I noticed any 749/999s.
My mate Simon Knowlson had his Ex Xaus DFX 748RS there, he will be racing this in the SoT at Castle Combe on june 4th, if anybody remebers last year he qualified it in 2nd place on the grid, was in the lead by the the first corner then had to pull out through a gear selection problem, So I'm looking forward to watching him when we are there for the next round of Desmo Due, the bike is for sale if anybody is interested he told me £7.5K earlier today. Sadly he didn't take it out to day as he was really dialed in on his Superstock R1 that he didn't want to upset his rythem for tomorrows races as he had the R1 lapping in 1min 06secs on treaded 17" Racetec K2s.

I arrived just after the first session and went and found Dallas. He had just been out and had been lapping in 1m 13S, I then toddled off to find Garry Smith and have a chat he was struggling with the circuit as he hadn't been there before and was still trying to sort a couple of turn in points, so first session lap times were 1m 16s bracket although he later improved these to a 1m 12s dead, Not sure what times my mate Deano on his 998R was doing I know he did a 1m 12.5s in the afternoon but by then most peoples lap times had dropped by a couple of secs including Garry's and Simon's.When I first caught up with Deano he was changing the rear sprocket on his 998R partly because the change to 16.5 inch wheels had altered things from last year and also as he said "A RS went past me like I was stood still". I later found the RS and a beaut it was to, it was in the Garage next to Phil Bevans bike and judging by the name still on the fairing it was a Ex Dean Thomas bike, the Exhaust system was huge the forks were fantastic, it certainly was one trick bit of kit.
Also around was Tim Watts over from the channel Islands to race his 955 and at least 3 other Ducatis.

Dallas's testing was gut short when on the 2nd lap of the 2nd session as he tried to exit Copse corner the rear 16.5 inch wheel tried to over the take the front resulting in a very fast off that had his ZX10R firstly sliding on one side then upside down on the tank and then fianlly sliding on the other side into the gravel, while Dallas slid on his Butt and then jumped up very quickly as he felt as though he was on fire.
We had ago at getting it sorted stripping off what was left of the bodywork to dig out all the gravel, had to remove the airbox to dig gravel out of the throttle linkage, but dispite a trip to Baines Racing where he saw Jeff and then visiting a few other places we couldn't find anybody to repair the Mag engine cover that had been worn through. So there was nothing for it but to pack up and come home,
But before I left I visited the A&R paddock truck and picked myself up a replacement Clip-on bar for £10 to replace the spare I used at Cadwell last week and I also picked up a 2" perforated Exhaust core and some exhaust wadding for Senna3 so that he can gut the standard 916 can on his DD racer.

Since getting back to Oxford Dallas popped around to see a Ducati 955 owner we know who promptly got the engine casing welded up for him, which will hopefully be fitted to the bike later and allow the engine to be checked.
It looks like Dallas dislocated his left thumb in the off and with the damage to the leathers etc it doesn't look as if he will be going back in the morning to race, but we will be going to spectate.
Old 07-May-2005, 23:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Met up with Bradders this morning and rode up to Silverstone to watch the racing. caught up with Dallas and his son and then went and met up with Garry Smith whose lovely wife made Bradders a cup of tea to help warm him up a bit after his long ride.
Saw some good races, i'll leave it to Garry to post about his races as we watched the first SoT race from the banking I was busy talking to some friends (Very, Very, Very, Very quick racers) when along came Louigi. Watched the race 1st was Nigle Reid on the SV1000, 2nd was Deano on his 998R with Andy Peck 3rd on the Spiderman Aprilia. 2nd Minitwin home was Luke Brackenbury ex of Performance Bikes and now with Bike magazine, went and found him in the paddock afterwards to have a chat as he wants to guest in the DD series and has contacted Ducati UK about riding their bike, Considering this was his 5th race meeting he is doing well as he leads the North Glos Minitwin series and was ahead of Louigis man Tim Watts on his 955 so it should be interesting if he gets a guest ride.
2nd SoT race was also a good one with Andy 1st, Deano 3rd and the guy on the Ex Dean Thomas bike splitting them in 2nd. I think Luke was 3rd in the MiniTwins as a local Oxford lad Craig Polden who runs in the MRO also got ahead of him this time.

On the ride home I thought I had lost Bradders so turned around to go in search of him when he comes trundling into view, after I turned around and pulled alongside he pointed to his fairing where the left mirror was missing, luckily he had noticed it was about to fall off and grabbed it, pulled over and tucked it in his leathers.
Hope you got home without getting to wet Paul

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit