Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Nov-2006, 15:38
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie1
Precisely mate. I've had mine nearly 4 years & still love it. In that time, I'd say nearly all the negative comments I've heard/seen have come from Ducati owners (mostly on this forum). Outside of dsc, the positive comments far out weigh the negative though.
I was at Brands BSB the other day & when I was riding out of one of the muddy fields I was stopped for a photo!! Not by some kid either, he was a ' proper geezer ' in his late twenties! Took me by surprise a bit as he looked more of latest/lightest/fastest fan.

Don't worry about what other people think of it, just enjoy it

I took this picture at the Calf of Man during the 2005 TT. What you can't see are the 12 people stood behind me doing the same. There were loads of other bikes in the car park at the time. I like the looks of the bike that is why "I" bought one. I too just enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc.jpg (128.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 22-Nov-2006, 16:13
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Smile

O well in for a penny in for a pound!

I don`t think that anyone "hates" the 749/999 series its just that there so different to the "Iconic" 916 series.

I actually like the 749/999 bikes but prefer the 916 series and in all honesty love to wind people up about there "ugly" bikes, but, the whole matter is subjective to each individual.

I`m sure that there will be those that like the new 1098 and those that "hate" it and as I`ve said before its not really hate its a preference to a different model.

If were all honest there`s probably not a single Ducati that anyone really "hates" but there are those that we prefer over others.

Enjoy the banter!
Old 22-Nov-2006, 17:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Simlarities to the red/yellow mullarkey, just that ....................mullarkey.

It's the pantomine season soon so it's time for "your bike is 5hi7e, oh no it isn't...............oh yes it is..............oh no it isn't..............oh yes it is........well actually I think you're right cos a new model is out and it's the best thing since, er the last, next best thing

Ray.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 17:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgbob44

I actually like the 749/999 bikes but prefer the 916 series and in all honesty love to wind people up about there "ugly" bikes, but, the whole matter is subjective to each individual.

Quote from todays MCN

" From the moment the 999 hit the dealers in 2002 opinion was divided over the styling, with many Ducatisti shunning the new design"

Where better to gauge the opinion of the Ducatisti than websites such as this, so if people dont believe what they are writing why write it and create a false impression?

Sometimes I cant believe what is written a bout the 999/749 looks in the press. Its a long way from what I experience when out on the bike.

IMHO the 999 got a real raw deal form the press and they probably know it and will be trying to make up for it with the 1098 reviews.

I could spend all day picking holes in the 1098 review in MCN but will just leave you with one example.

page 33 at the bottom. "Once again Ducati has a track focussed machine that will make a fantastic road bike"

Kind of suggests they havent had one since the 916 doesnt it?

But then on page 34.......The 999's basic frame and chassis design was retained, as the handling was one area where the 999 succeeded"

Draw your own conclusions, but factor in that the 999 was the most pwerful litre twin before the 1098 came along and you basically come back to the fact that some people just didnt like the look......are most bikers really that Lawrence LLewlyn Bowen?

Last edited by 749er : 23-Nov-2006 at 13:58.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 18:03
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I've said why I didn't like it: looks and less focused.

Also, very time I rode one I had this sneaking feeling that all was not well in the front end dept. I couldn't quite put my finger on it though - just total faith in it was lacking whereas I have total faith in the 748 and indeed my 800ss road/race bikes.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 18:50
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I've owned a 2003 999S from new. Once I started pushing on the performance front, I did indeed have that feeling others have mentioned about the front being "vague".
When I eventually sorted out suspension settings and ride heights, the vagueness went completely away. However, people trying an "out of the crate" demo 999 from the dealer, or a friend's 999 that hasn't been sorted, will be left with the impression of a bike that isn't 100% in the handling department. You don't get the opportunity in these circumstances to tinker with the bike to suit your requirements.

From a marketing point of view, selling a bike that doesn't feel totally "planted", straight from the crate and under all circumstances, is not so great. However, most folks buying a Ducati based upon a WSB winning design shouldn't be afraid of having a little play with the settings to realise the bike's full potential.

End result is a bike where a lot of people "just don't get it", but for the owners - a hidden gem of a bike.

As for the looks issue - the 999 wowwed me in the publicity photos and magazine shoots, and when I saw it in the flesh, I couldn't resist it. The 1098 photos so far do nothing at all for me, so I'll be waiting to see it for real in due course. That's all subjective though, might as well argue the length of a piece of string.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 23:23
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 749er
Quote from todays MCN

" ......are most bikers really that Lawrence LLewlyn Bowen?

Err, yeah. But it's not the whole story - love the 748's looks, but also their engineering, their sound, the looks it gets. All the usual stuff.

I can remember seeing a guy turn up at the GP when it first came out and the crowd was 10 deep before he even stopped. Swore then I'd get one and ten years later I did...not disappointed yet.

Think the 749 looks way ahead of any jap machine but just can't get to love that front end - butt ugly. Guess the 748 stays at least until they bring out a girl's version of the 1098
Old 23-Nov-2006, 08:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz
I'
When I eventually sorted out suspension settings and ride heights, the vagueness went completely away. .

I found the same thing. A different bike once Rob at ProTwins had worked his magic
Old 23-Nov-2006, 13:02
Big Twin

Re all Ducati's looking great, there was the Paso :eeK:

A really aquired taste
Old 23-Nov-2006, 13:03
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I love the Paso. Extraordinary looking bike in its day and still draws my eye when I see one.