Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 21-Nov-2012, 23:11
DSC Club Member
Mille

Smile Does Anyone Have A Class A Engine For Sale

So after much deliberation,heart ache etc me and mrs brummy have decided we can do without holidays,food, mortgage payments etc cos we love the racing and one of the best paddocks in the world.After achieving a 3rd in class b,with a busted collar bone for two rounds I am more than chuffed.some of the racing with tom,badger, the kevs,stevooo ,andy,miles,Ian,simon to mention a few has been awesome and entertaining so, we have decided to carry on the tradition of budget racing .This year I want to at least get a 620 motor running in the original monster frame and start getting the class A thing sorted,so if anyone has a class a engine and or parts to build one for sale could you please pm me,if not its going to be a start with class b then move on up.tara a bit from leicestershire!!!! ps just got back from a and e ,that dyson ball cleaner is not what you think it is !
Old 22-Nov-2012, 08:57
Big Twin

Not worth it Dave. you will also need

ECU
Clocks
Throttle bodies/cable
Wiring Harness
Air temp sensor
Oil temp sensor
Fuel pump
Coils

Easier to buy another race ready bike or a road bike and swop all the bits round and re sell the road bike as a 600.

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 22-Nov-2012 at 15:06.
Old 22-Nov-2012, 18:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
IMMO Off ECU
Maybe a Power Commander or get stand ECU programmed
Tacho (depends on what you are already using)
Throttle bodies/cable (St2/750/900SSie can cost less than 620s etc)
Wiring Harness
Air temp sensor
Oil temp sensor (Hopefully Comes with the engine)
Fuel pump (should be easy fit if Dave still has the placcy tank)
Coils (can possibly use existing coils)
Reg/Rec (3-Phase so may also be required)

Cost of ECU, Harness, TBs with Injectors and TPS, Engine, Senors, fuel pump , Reg/rec etc will likely set you back £850 - £900
On top of that the engine may need a refresh or at least setting up, Belts, oil and filter
But then you would be fitting the last couple of items an maybe having a refresh on your old Class B engine
What you have to sell to get some of the money back is a 583 engine, Carbs that have been setup to suit, fuel pump, Igniters and the harness, not that the harnesses sell to well for the older bikes

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Nov-2012, 19:31
DSC Club Member
Mille

Smile

Thanks for joining in and any input is most appreciated,really as i mentioned one of the best paddocks ,and to me ,some of the most respected racers i know !!
to put it a little in perspective, for my sins (and not listening at school)I have been a mechanic/workshop manager for 30 odd years so the principles of what we do are what entertains me.
If needs be I am pretty sure i could run the 620 on carbs to start with(Its all about achieving a stoic mixture after all is said and done,economy is not an issue),a 3 phase reg rec is not a big issue i ran 2 years with a honda cx500 rectifier,no probs,coils are only an ohm issue,sensors like wise but obviously its simpler to source from a ducati,.I made my own loom for the 583 but the 620 will be quite a little more involved.(but what an achievement if i could do it !)Ialso found a tacho,virgin ecu and keys for £250 on flea bay,so all in all i recon if the gods smiled i could squeak it at 5-6hundred and i have no issue with a bits and bobs engine so long as its legal,but i guess thats what I am saying thats the fun in doing what we do,minimal rules,build it and ride it like you stole it,its worked ok so far ,and the feeling of fulfillment and achievement cant be beaten.AMEN.!! p.s its more for stimulating chat during the winter months but i do intend completing it .
Old 22-Nov-2012, 19:59
Big Twin

Dave you can run the 620 on Carbs. Andy Challis did it and I set an engine up but never used it. You will need...

Pickups and frame
Carby flywheel.
Carb re-jet etc

If your 600 is the later model then these will swop straight over.
Old 22-Nov-2012, 20:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummydave
Ialso found a tacho,virgin ecu and keys for £250 on flea bay .

Thats Cheaper than my set on there, Derek at Duchamducs had a 800 see on there that had a starting issue.

But you only need a ECU with the IMMO off so no more than £120
Making a loom from scratch would cost far to much as the ECU connectors alone cost £89 for the pair, cheaper to but the right loom or modify something like a 998 one.
I'm currently working on stripping down the loom for Chris Clarkes Class A bike, for which I also supplied the Engine, ECU, Sensors,TBs, Injectors, Pressure regulator and 3-bar fuel pump

MAP/Air Tem sensors can be had for £20, and less for the Engine Temp sesnor which iirc is a WTS09

As you say Dave most 3 phase reg/recs whould work, as should most coild of the same impeadance

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Nov-2012, 20:05
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Ohhh I love it when you guys talk dirty....

You lost me at Engine

Craig
Old 22-Nov-2012, 20:33
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
Ohhh I love it when you guys talk dirty....

You lost me at Engine

Craig

Old 22-Nov-2012, 20:37
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
You should have looked at Senna's face when I was hammering the **** out of my clutch lever trying to get it off after my Donni crash. Worked a treat when he pointed out I might want to take the screw out first... duh

Craig
Old 22-Nov-2012, 21:42
DSC Club Member
Mille

He he game on,i love it when the weather is crap and we are all bored,cheers guys !!!