Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:16
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Tyres - swapping them round / reversing?

Hi
Does anyone know if 208GPs can be reversed on the rim?
I've just got some "used" 208GPs for Mallory and no surprises, they're more worn on the right than the left.

- Can I fit these the other way around?
- Are they sided?
- Can this be done with some tyres and not others?
- Is this dependant upon tread pattern? (the same if reveresed)

I've had some conflicting advice on this one and am hoping that the knowledge base here will provide some input.

Thanks in advance
Tim
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:21
Mille

Mood: Yoi
I think that that's a definate NO!

Have a look on the sidewalls of the tyres and you should notice direction arrows pointing forward (that's clockwise if you view from the RHS of the bike.)

Maybe Tyreman can confirm this?

[Edited on 27-6-2003 by David Cook]
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:22
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Lots of people racing on the old 207GP's used to run the fronts backwards to get more use out of the tyre and found that they actually got better grip in the wet with the pattern running reversed , believe it or not this is why the tread pattern on a 208 GP is the reverse of a 207.

I never heard of anyone doing it with rears though ,
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:24
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Rattler, I would suggest that the tread pattern and the direction markers suggest only one way....

Personally I run 208GP's which have done one, lets say "aggressive" session on the r/h side of the tyre, and I haven't noticed any less grip from them. I wouldn't swap them round, because things like the carcass etc, let alone tread pattern might be manufactured for that directional force.

Worse case scenario, you could come off, and have a very expensive day...
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:38
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
REVERSEING TYRES

ITS A BIG NO NO BOYS,bike tyres are directional (arrow on side wall or in tyre tread) and thats how they should be fitted. the tread pattern and tyre structure is designed like that and for 1 would not be safe especially on a track .i know money comes into it but safety first.use the tyres youve got fitted properly and see how you get on.we get regular track day boys who use 2nd hand tyres from race teams and they dont worry about wear already showing
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:45
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Thanks guys....

....I do need to keep costs down as the last "off" has left me completely skint.

- I'm trying to persuade Mrs Rattler to hit the street to raise some funds, but she seems strangely unwilling!!!!

When I spoke to the tyre guy at Brands who looks after the instructors bikes, he said it was common pratice for them to rotate their tyres to get even wear across the tyres and save money this way.

Is it because they are slicks that this is OK? Maybe its because they're not really having to go that fast anyway, so grip is less of an issue?

Tim
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:57
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
i think you answered your own question weeksy only you the rider can tell when a tyre has had enough .heat cycles do more damage,tyres hot then cold.
instructers dont teach riding on there own bikes if you get what i mean,and they are not worried if they bin it.most slicks are directional.directional is how the carcass of the tyre is built so to take the stress,s involved i will have written tech data on the day that may be of interest to you cheers steve
Old 27-Jun-2003, 12:58
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I personally know guys who have won 600 supersport races on D207 GP's with the front reversed , thats's good enough for me.

I would not do it on the road though as if you were to have an accident and the insurance assesor was sharp enough to spot it (doubtfull) you might have trouble with your claim.

On the track , no problem
Old 27-Jun-2003, 13:46
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
S\'all to do with their construction!

Road tyres (generally) have the structural ply's bound in an overlapping configuration. If you run them in the direction of the arrow then you are compressing the overlap, keeping the tyres strength and integrity. If you run then against the direction arrow you are, effectively, opulling the ply's apart.
Dunno about race tyres but with road ones.........
Good luck! I wouldn't do it!

Old 27-Jun-2003, 14:42
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Psychlist is right, but so are others in this thread. Plenty of racers do it, for practice, not heard of anyone doing it for the race which might say something. If it's wet, you're beggered because of the direction of the tread as it's designed to disperse the water - can't imagine how you could get better grip this way!?!

My racing mate does it with his race tyres on a track day, not for race day.

Personally - I don't

I'm learning this tyre wear bit week by week- tyres I look at and think they are fine, other racers say 'you're not going out with these are you?' I have a rear on my CB500 that has done two 8 lap races and a track day. By the end of the track day, the rear was spinning and sliding coming out of corners - you can hear it on my video. The tyre has picked up loads of rubber and looks a bit shredded, although in terms of tread there is plenty of it. On any other day, I would have kept it, but it'll be in the bin before the next meeting.

WeeJohnyB