Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jan-2006, 15:01
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
I have an 2001 ST4s - YELLOW

Okay now that's out of the way I will say that if you want a Ducati Sportstourer get an ST4s - forget the others as 4s has all the good bits on it, oh and importantly, do not get a recent one as Ducati have cheapened the spec on later models (no Ohlins up front - less carbon etc) the only good thing to say about the later model is it has a better standard headlight. The earlier models have a headlight that you'd be better offusing candles. You can improve it a little for a few pence.

All the previous posts have covered most of the other ground opn this subject - except for the seat. The newer models have a "more sculptured" seat that prevents the pillion from sliding forward and it is more rounded at the sides for added comfort. Having said that I have had no comfort problems with the original early seat but I'm a slim Jim of 73kgs.

As for the Triumph ST - the model year 2006 is very very highly rated over here - the Germans love it and say it is the best in its class. That it may be, but, I would not trade in my ST4s for one as I do not like the styling. Simple as that.

I have a friend in Vienna and she has a model year 2003 red'un and loves it and does many big mileage tours on it. Loves it, except for the times she has to do the chain tensioning. When she was round at my place once she showed me exactly what she was ranting about and I have to admit it was tough (needed to eat loads of Yorkie bars) n tricky to do. It scratched her porcelain hands so much that she wrote to Triumph about it - She also rode from Austrian to Hinckley to make her point and was invited in to talk through the issue (how's that for customer relationship building) - they have since changed the mechanisim. So the Triumph is worth a look if you don't mind its looks.

But - do ya self a big favour first - ride a ST4s and do the Duc.

[Edited on 26-1-2006 by Athelstan]
Old 26-Jan-2006, 15:06
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Much as I love Ducatis I suggest you try a used Sprint RS. I have one (albeit for sale) and i have to say that it is by far the best road bike I have ever owned...better than my VFR750 was by some margin.

Some bikes are faster, some handle better but, as a package it is very hard to beat. It handles well, has an amazingly grunty engine, it's fast, economical, reliable and has low servicing requrements. I paid £5600 for it new in 2003 - they're not made any longer but can be picked up cheap used and there's still some languishing new in dealers.

It will top 160, it will do 60mpg at 80mph, I can get my knee down on it, it's comfortable for 600 miles in the saddle in a day, will do nearly 200 miles on a tank of fuel, it will just about slay anything in a roll-on from 60-120mph and has no trouble staying with the latest sportsbike tackle on most roads. Max torque is about 70 ft-lbs at 5200rpm and when chipped with the Triumph pipe it's delivering a little over 110bhp at 9000rpm.

The suspension is a little crude but, that's nothing that can't be sorted by Maxton et al.

I'm very impressed with it and can't see anything that would do it all better.

[Edited on 26-1-2006 by twpd]
Old 26-Jan-2006, 15:15
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
...and it sounds fabulous.
Old 27-Jan-2006, 10:40
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I know the new ST4s seat was supposed to keep the pillion from sligin forward, but it really didn't and all three ladies who have ridden on it continued to keep me pressured so to speak....Lucky they were light weight Japanese lasses. So, it you do do a newer model ST I would think about changing the seat if you plan to ride with anyone.
Also, the panniers hold a lot of stuff and are pretty rugged so far. ABS brakes are also pretty nice and I haven't been able to get the ABS to kick in despite some pretty serious braking.
But oh that engine!
Old 07-Feb-2006, 15:35
ShaneG

Dave
Give me a shout if you are looking for a good second hand ST4. shaneanita@gwinnutt.com

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by ShaneG]
Old 07-Feb-2006, 15:38
ShaneG

Dave,

Give me a shout if you are looking for a really good second hand ST4. shaneanita@gwinnutt.com
Old 21-Feb-2006, 15:22
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

I've got an ST2 and last year bought the ST3, both great bikes IMHO. Did a long 2 up trip on the 3 last year and it was great. 2 up panniers top box and tank bag cruising at 140 on the autobahn or just bimbling along through countries like Luxembourg. Great value for money bikes and fun to ride.

If you need convincing go and watch Jools on a track day :-)
Old 21-Feb-2006, 16:04
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul James

If you need convincing go and watch Jools on a track day :-)

Or Glyn, who is quicker on an ST2 than anybody else I know.
Old 21-Feb-2006, 16:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I've owned an ST4, ST4S, Multi, early Triumph ST (plus 3 VFR's) and the best out of the lot was the ST4S. (and covered anything from a minimum of 4500 miles upto 20,000+ miles on them).

I'll echo all of the previous comments made and just add its a corker.

The Triumph was OK but bland as a bland thing whereas the ST4S is so much more involving and fun to ride, and just as capable.

ST4S wolf in sheeps clothing, if i could only have one bike i think that would be it.
Old 21-Feb-2006, 20:52
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
I've owned an ST4, ST4S, Multi, early Triumph ST (plus 3 VFR's) and the best out of the lot was the ST4S. (and covered anything from a minimum of 4500 miles upto 20,000+ miles on them).

I'll echo all of the previous comments made and just add its a corker.

The Triumph was OK but bland as a bland thing whereas the ST4S is so much more involving and fun to ride, and just as capable.

ST4S wolf in sheeps clothing, if i could only have one bike i think that would be it.

Having ridden my own ST2 on some pretty serious trips I'm looking forward to testing the ST3 more fully this year to see how it measures up in comparison. It seemed to have a bit more top end than the ST2 when we toured on it last year 2 up with loadsa luggage, will be looking at reliability as the miles rack uo but don't see it being a problem.