Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Oct-2004, 20:15
Ducati Corse

First thing to do when you get it though is to change the 15 tooth front sprocket to a 14 tooth one. The get loud pipes and a chip and then a set of ST4S alloy clutch plates. Do the sprocket change first though, it'll only cost about £15 and makes it so much more useable.
Old 25-Oct-2004, 22:51
Mille

Had my ST2 over a year and am very happy with it. She's got a little mis-fire problem at the moment but hoping to sort that asap. I had the choice of any sports tourer and chose the Duc because it is underated by the press and public alike and therfore excellent value for money as a used buy.
It is a well balanced package of power and handeling.
I know there are a lot of owners of fast sports models here, but I belive we in this country have a misguided obsession with BHP and top speed which is feed buy MCN and other mags. In the "real" world of motorcycling nobody needs the latest fastest bike on public roads. Remember, manufactureres use a policy of built-in obsurlesence to encourage you to but the latest product, buy convincing you the product they sold you last year is now crap !
The press who are dependent on advertising revenue's have to appease their masters and be party to this.
The ST2 will do almost twice the legal speed limit, do you need any more ?
If you want speed for the race track then your needs are different.
And finally (and many jap 4 owners will also say) nothing sounds better on the road than a big twin !!
Nuf said.
Old 25-Oct-2004, 23:49
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
First thing to do when you get it though is to change the 15 tooth front sprocket to a 14 tooth one. The get loud pipes and a chip and then a set of ST4S alloy clutch plates. Do the sprocket change first though, it'll only cost about £15 and makes it so much more useable.

What difference do each of these things make? Please excuse my ignorance!
Old 26-Oct-2004, 00:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
14 tooth front sprocket-will lose you about 5mph top speed but make the bike easier to ride around town and also fire out of corners much quicker-as if it needs it.
Pipes and chip-makes it sound like a Ducati, sets off car alarms(if that's your thing), fills out the midrange-it is noticeable.
ST4S alloy clutch plates-only bother when your existing plates are worn out, but they do make the clutch less rattly and LOUD.
As my girlfriend says-"all Ducati's sound like a bag of spanners"-and she loves it.

John
Old 26-Oct-2004, 09:39
Ducati Corse

I found that i hardly ever used fith and sixth gears except on motorways, the bike is very over geared as standard. The new sprocket makes those gears useable for more than just high speed cruising, makes it easier to pull away especially two up and makes it a whole lot smoother around town.
Pipe and chip, well like Monty said really!
Clutches dont last an awfully long time but are generally very noisy from day one. When it time to change it go for the ST4S alloy plates as they are almost the same price as the steel ones but a heck of a lot quieter and they last just as long. I'm up to 12,000 miles now (and 3 track days) on mine.

Generally the ST series are vastly underrated bikes on and for your info, the ST4 and the ST4S make slightly more power than the bikes their engines came from (the 916 and the 996) becasue of the way the exhaust is routed.

I think we supprised quite a few riders of faster bikes at Cadwell in the summer.
Old 26-Oct-2004, 15:45
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Get One
Dunks
I've had my ST4s from new since '01 and it has performed brilliantly. I confer with the other Posters in what has already been said about the SportsTouring range, but would impress upon you to do the following:

a) change the main and dip beam bulbs to xenon ones - the std ones are hopeless
b) change the front sprocket as per Rockhoppers comments
c) fit adjustable levers for both brake n clutch, you'll feel much more relaxed and they are only £16 each approx
d) get one with panniers, then when you've tanked up and heading for the alps send me a U2U and I'll be happy to give you some tips on the best alpine passes in my neck of the swiss alps

Have fun - that's what ST's are for
Old 26-Oct-2004, 16:40
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
just to clear monty's post up;
The alloy clutch plates make it quieter.

Athelstan, what make/model xenons do you use?
Old 26-Oct-2004, 18:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"The alloy clutch plates make it quieter."-that's what I said didn't I??

John
Old 26-Oct-2004, 19:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i think montys trying to say the alloy plates will make the clutch a bit less noisey
Old 27-Oct-2004, 09:59
Montjuic

If there was a straight opportunity to get either an ST2 or an ST4, which should I go for? This assumes they are comparable money etc....

Thanks!