Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Oct-2006, 14:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Sigma advertise the service, and I am sure that Pro-Twins will do it too.
The 'traditional' and cheaper-in-parts way is to use offset keys, but they are limited to a few degrees.
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/index.html
I have been warned off the vee-two vernier pulleys that sigma advertise by tales of failures, but I am sure some of those could be due to inexperience in setting up vernier pulleys. Vernier pulleys are much more expensive in cost terms, but much faster and easier to set up.
Dialling in the cams is one of the key things in the sigma 'full-monty'.
Old 19-Oct-2006, 14:49
GTL

Hi, I have used V-Two adjustable pulleys on my 851 special, i found them very easy to set up and appear to be very well made. Offset keys are 'mucho' expensive and quite hard to get hold of (in a hurry) they also come in 2 degree steps,so are harder to get spot on! The only way i can see them failing (the v-2 items) is if they are not installed correctley, maybe coming loose. If you know what your'e doing this shouldn't be a problem!
After setting your'e cams with the v-2 pulleys,there's a small hole in the outer face of the wheels,using a small drill, 3mm? you drill through the whole unit and then install a stainless roll pin,then the wheels can't slip/move. they can still be dismantled and reset in the future,by removing the pulley and knocking out the pin.
In my opinion both v-two or sigma don't sell **** or bling,i have always beem well pleased with their advice and their kit.
Steve Robins s.w.

I carry out all my own work,but if i had to choose between sigma or pro-twins,then sigma would get my vote, based on conversations with both outfits and surfing the net.

Last edited by Mr.R : 19-Oct-2006 at 14:58.
Old 19-Oct-2006, 22:08
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
got the v 2 pulleys on my bike - speak to any engine man and he'll tell you that pulleys are the way to go. Not only do the keys only come in limited steps but they are mega hard to come by as Steve points out.
Also buy from Oz now and you benefit from a good exchange rate - cheaper than buying in the UK, even with the import duty...
So far as maintenance is concerned, just had my heads off after approx 1200 miles of use and not a mark - cams and rockers are Ok as well as pistons. Havn't had the bottom end to bits so can't speak for how the cases look to be lasting but there doesn't seem to be any issues right now.
I guess that engine life is down to how hard you ride these things - now I think I ride my bike hard, but know for a fact that I'll never push the bike more than a tenth of what it would have had if it had been a racer. So my insurance is regular strip downs and oil changes - thru maintenance hopefully I'll catch whatever could go before it happens !!!
Hang the expense - it's worth the grin....
Old 19-Oct-2006, 22:55
GTL

Mood: anamorphic with overtones of sanguineness!
Later models have adjustable pullies as standard. Have a chat to a mechanic about which ones. 748 ones will fit your cams not sure about 749's, and may be cheaper than Vee2's.

Griff
Old 20-Oct-2006, 08:40
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_h
And how long do you guys expect your pistons to last btw ?
And the cams ?
As far as I can work out, at much above 11000 rpm, they will need replacing on race schedules of about a couple of hundred hours of practical use before they damage something else.
Get someone to work out the piston speed figures properly and change your oil every 10 hours at that rate.
I think you're playing with full-race-spec figures and not factoring in the high maintenance levels that are assumed will go with it.
Or do you accept really high maintenance costs anyway

Just my 2p

---> Judicious point of view !!!
You're playing a very expensive game ...

Phil911
Old 20-Oct-2006, 13:12
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
"You're playing a very expensive game ..."

aware of that - what the hell !
you have to spend your money somewhere - now I don't have a lot of money either, but it's worth it....
Old 20-Oct-2006, 13:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff
Later models have adjustable pullies as standard. Have a chat to a mechanic about which ones. 748 ones will fit your cams not sure about 749's, and may be cheaper than Vee2's.

Griff

A part number for the new ones would be good !
Or a price, I guess, and then we can compare with v2 price.
(Having been stung on import duty with stuff from the states )

Just bought a '92 strada in need of some work
Old 20-Oct-2006, 14:28
GTL

Mood: anamorphic with overtones of sanguineness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_h

A part number for the new ones would be good !
Or a price, I guess, and then we can compare with v2 price.
(Having been stung on import duty with stuff from the states )

Just bought a '92 strada in need of some work

If I remember while I'm at the shop tomorrow, I'll get one.
If its under a $1000 they leave us alone with import duty. That is why they call this the lucky country. Got no water but! How lucky is that!
Griff

Last edited by jgriff : 20-Oct-2006 at 14:30.
Old 20-Oct-2006, 14:51
GTL

Hi, On the import duty front, if you get the sender to mark the parcel as a gift, sampels or free of charge, then the revenue boys aren't to interested! So iv'e been told, not that i would do this myself, you must understand! as it would be dishonest and we can't have that can we?
Steve R, S.W. U.K.
Old 20-Oct-2006, 15:13
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 851neil
"You're playing a very expensive game ..."

aware of that - what the hell !
you have to spend your money somewhere - now I don't have a lot of money either, but it's worth it....

That's ok until your bike goes BANG!!! and your friends pick you up in a van, take you to your local pub, to let you cry on their shoulder's ,then whilst knocking your knuckels on the bar to show them the sound that your pride n' joy was makeing......The barmaid tells you off for getting her attention in that way!!! You then explain what's happened to your bike, whilst telling her how sorry you are, only to have her say "Well it's a Ducati, what else do you expect"?????
Don't ask me how i know this.....but it's a true story!
Steve Robins s.w.