Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jul-2006, 21:59
500SD

Advice Needed on 748/9**

I have just been going through a lot of thinking about buying a superbike as its always been a dream of mine. I knew years agoI couldn't which is why I went down the route of Monster which I adore. My partner wont let me lose the s4 as she love going on the back. My house is sold subject to the usual blurb so hopefully within 4-6 weeks it done.

Do I get my dream. Can you put me off.

I love the look of the 748/916etc. Its a classic for the future. Im not buying it for the speed ,handling, just for the beauty and what it is.

What I'm scared of is what Im buying of of someone else. I want something that is either very basic and looked after and reasonably priced or something cheap and unloved but needs a bit spent.

I really want the iconic 916 as its the original. A 996 might be too much being as I will have two bikes then. Will a 748 do. Do people shun then as not the bizz.

Will my Monster mates hate me.

Good point s that Caroline doesnt mind me getting a mono but a biposto would be better.

Advice please and what to look out for.

Thank you.
Andy
Old 20-Jul-2006, 22:54
Mille

Mood: relaxed
Hi Andy , i too had that dream 10 plus years ago when i first saw the 916 . Thought i could never afford one , so decided not long after i would get a 748one day as it would be cheaper on insurance . Bit the bullet 2 yrs ago and got a 2003 748 ,which i have to say is just fantastic dont have to ride it to love it , but when you do it s out of this world . I regulary carrier a pillion with no problem , my other half actualy likes it on the back . I now have my 916 which is on a 1995 plate ,this i use for track days .
Only you can decide , but it will never go away . Regards Roy
Old 20-Jul-2006, 23:28
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
buy one thats been looked after and still expect to have it serviced PROPERLY, don't rely on the service book.

916 is quick enough for the road.
Old 20-Jul-2006, 23:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Does that mean I could interest you in a 996 Bip for £3600, very good condition 15000 miles, 2 owners on a T plate

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 20-Jul-2006, 23:41
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
II really want the iconic 916 as its the original. A 996 might be too much being as I will have two bikes then. Will a 748 do. Andy

so if a 916 is what you really want then thats what to go for, for me the 748 doesnt pack the grunt, (just personal preferance)

for me ducati is a bit about pride of ownership, my advice would be get the best quality bike that you can for your budget, maybe that night not be the newest, id rather something a couple of years older thats maybe lower miles and better condition than a bike thats been run in to the ground. im sure you know what to look for
Old 21-Jul-2006, 03:30
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=7746
Old 21-Jul-2006, 08:30
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Just do it mate ! Ive owned the 748 and 916 and both have there own advantages. Go for an early bike with the original graphics which are absolutely timeless IMO. As you run the 916 monster in your monster, i'd probably go for a 748 for the contrast so you really do have two different riding experiences.

Just be careful what you buy - with prices as they are there on early bikes there are unfortunatley many examples which have been owned by people who just dont know how (or cant afford) to look after them properly ! (my 748 track bike had 20k on the clock and hadnt been serviced for nearly 3 years !!!) Let me know if you need any help.

Finally - insurance, there are some good dual bike policies around which dont cost that much more than a single bike ones (ive just renewed my 888/S4R policy with protected no claims/breakdown etc for £260!)

Nat
Old 21-Jul-2006, 09:14
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Now is the best time to buy a 916/748!

Lots of choice, budget £ for a full service, go original as possible!

Interested in a '95 Senna 916....?
Old 21-Jul-2006, 10:02
GTL

Nat - who was that insurance with? [I'm coming up to renewal time...]

Andrew
Old 21-Jul-2006, 10:10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
A family run broker ive used for years - Laxtons (they alweays come up trumps!) - call Steve and tell him nathan bennett referred you...there number - 08704446365/3

Nat