Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2003, 16:34
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Front axle - corrosion

Anybody else fed up with the amount of corrosion our pride and joy picks up? take for example the front axle.

My bike was new in september 2001. within a month i had fitted Ohlins front forks, and while fitting them thoroughly covered the axle in grease to prevent corrosion. The bike has never been near a jetspray, and very rarely has it even seen wet weather, yet on removing the axle at the weekend, I was disgucted to find it quite badly pitted from corrosion.

Ducati make us spend enough buying these things, I just wish they could be persuaded to do a bit more towards corrosion protection.

Moan over, anybody know of a source for stainless or even alloy axles? Had a search myself, but it doesn't seem to be something people do, so failing that I'm going to make one in a decent tough grade stainless.
Old 03-Jun-2003, 20:34
Ducati Corse

I've got that peeved with it that i bought a bent one with the aim of using as a pattern for someone to make one in stainless.I have found someone,but he's not keen.So'i'll keep looking.If you find someone,i can supply the pattern,ok?
Old 03-Jun-2003, 21:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Like you I've got one but this one isnot bent. I swopped it over for the same reason as Yeti. Maybe if you ask the guys at Tecmoto nice, they might make some up in titanium Dread to think what it would cost though.

Jontitanium. dread to
Old 03-Jun-2003, 22:15
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

Just a thought but wouldn't it be an idea to try and get the orginal retreated. I may enquire at a local plating company, London & Brighton plating.
Old 03-Jun-2003, 23:25

Mood: MewaaaMewaaa
Speaking as an engineer.....

If you get the axle re-treated, the diameter will increase and the next time you install it will probably be very tight and most of the coating will be scraped off, thus starting the corrosion process again.

As for using a different material, you have to be very careful, generally manufactures choose materials based on cost, weight, fatigue life, expected use so lets say you use titanium, strong, very light relative to section. The downside is you can get micro cracks when ground incorrectly (potential for sudden breakage) and very expensive (heat treatment processes) and will still corrode and will probably need to be replaced after a certain life time. Now if you use stainless steel, good corrosion resistance, but heavier, could pick up on forks (weld themselves together) so you can’t get it out again and more expensive (note some stainless will still corrode under the correct conditions.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.

Gannet
Old 03-Jun-2003, 23:28
Ducati Corse

Thanks, very informative.

Jon

[Edited on 3-6-2003 by Jon]

[Edited on 3-6-2003 by Jon]
Old 04-Jun-2003, 00:06
Ducati Corse

Some chest you have there Jon!!
Old 04-Jun-2003, 21:15
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
I have the facilities to re-manufacture the damn thing, but problem is as Gannet says - finding a suitable material.

Had considered stainless, but problem there is using a tough enough grade for an axle makes it a real swine to machine.

Titanium is also a problem because of the possiblity of cracks, which is probably why not many race teams use the stuff. had thought about having the original re-ground and then heavily plated to bring the sizes back up, but this could be a bit iffy. Might look into doing one from one of the better alluminium alloys, but would probably need to make the thing solid to get the strength back!

Suppose I could make on from spaghetti, at least the bloody thing wouldn't corrode! why do we put up with this? we spend thousands on abike and tolerate the thing rotting away before our very eyes, but if it were a car we would hit the roof! Have tackled my dealer about this, but all I got was "They all do that Sir!"

Come on ducati UK, get a grip. You have a fabulous product, even better image, but crap quality control, at leat where the plating shop is concerned1111
Old 04-Jun-2003, 21:33
Ducati Corse

Wait til you see them bounce.
Old 04-Jun-2003, 21:58
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Just out of interest how much does a new front axle cost ?